[visionrehabtherapist] Re: What do you think about the new ACVREP Certification requiremetns?

  • From: Patty Arnold- Rutkoff <parnold@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: aer vision rehab therapist listserve <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 07:35:50 -0700

Hi Lisa,

While I agree something needs to be done to be prepared for the increasing need for CVRT's, I don't feel the new proposed changes are adequate or clear. I saw nothing requiring any kind of internship or even mentorship under a CVRT. It also was not clear to me if ACVREP would require at least some of the same type of proof of coursework/ training as it presently requires under category 3, e.g. college courses, Hadley courses such as the Human eye course, etc, or if everything was dependent solely on the test.

Personally I recently began using a VRT Assistant who completed the lighthouse VRT assistant training, but I use her in the correct manner, where I do the initial assessment, do some of the training, and have her do some of the training according to her skills. She already knew a lot about the blindness field, as she is V.I. herself and has been our part time receptionist for many years, and is excellent with people. I know some would argue that there are/will be those agencies who will not use VRT assistants properly; I have no control over that, but I am very pleased with my VRT Assistant. Seems to me one CVRT should only have one or two VRT assistants, otherwise it could become more like being a case manager, not a CVRT.

I do not have a problem with some type of grandfather clause for those who have been working in the field many years, if proof of some coursework and mentorship under a CVRT could be shown., and if the current core areas continue to be used. The current category 3 seems pretty good for those who don't go through university VRT programs, but if this is not meeting the need perhaps some tweaks could be made to that. In my mind though the way ACVREP's proposed changes stand now, someone new to the field could work for awhile under a person with little to no knowledge of Vision Rehab Therapy, read some books, pass the test, and bide their time to become certified with little contact with a CVRT. Hopefully something that assures actual contact with other CVRT's and certain coursework could be worked out before implementing changes.

Take Care,

Patty Arnold
On Jan 15, 2009, at 6:49 PM, l.mowerson@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
First of all, I must say, I have been in the field for over 20 years now. I have served in AER as a state chair of RT, as national RT division, on the AER Board of Dirctors, and helped to organize the 1999 Rt conference. I am quite proud to be a CVRT.

However, when I saw the postponement today I was upset! I think it was a good and brave move on the part of ACVREP to move in the direction of two levels of certification. Prior to 1986, there were BA's with ceritification in the field of blindnes for VRt, O&M amd TVI. unfortunately grant funding and univeristy support moved away from these low incident programs (translation, low interest and low enrollments) to Master's level programming were they could be tagged onto existing higher student programs. To my fellow professionals that believe this two track system will water down the profession and lessen our programs, I say get real! With only 6, count them 6, universities in all of the US offering VRT training, 1 offering LV and whoopie, 20 offering O&M how the HELL are we going to prepare enough professionals to meet the shortage! With the growing older adult populations growing and demending our serives, the younger multi-impaired population growing and retirements occurring at a rapid pace, we are opening the flood gates to agencies and adminstrations to offer jobs to unqualified similiar professions. We can't wait for people to 'discover" the "ideal" in training and certification.We have no professional career ladder of an assistant, like nursing with aides, LPN and RN or OT with COTA's. We say to interested professionals, especially ethnic or disabled individuals, come back in 6 years after you get a Masters! With track certifcation we are aligning with teaching and state certification requirements. We are offering individuals a chance to learn about our professions, work in our professions with appropriate guidance and with more training reach the "ideal".

To ACVREP on postponing the implimentation, My first reaction, whimps! It needs to be done, should have been done years ago and offers the only I hope of beefing up a profession on its way obscurity.

Respectfully,

Lisa-Anne Mowerson