[visionrehabtherapist] Re: ACVREP Announcement

  • From: "Van, Stephanie" <svan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Maduffy@xxxxxxx'" <Maduffy@xxxxxxx>, "visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 08:59:13 -0500

Maureen,
Thank you for the leadership you have, and continue to provide to the VRT
profession.

I have been thinking and reading all the comments posted over the past two days
and I still cannot make a definite decision.  Nonetheless, I would like to
participate in this very important discussion.  Lisa-anne raises some very
valid issues concerning the shortages in our field and the demand for service.
Judy, Janet, Shelley, Deanna, Jennifer, (if I omitted anyone, I do not mean any
disrespect), have also shared passionate views.

It seems clear to me that we have as many opinions as we do techniques for
teaching any particular skill.   I have been in the field longer than any of
you.  I graduated from a college prep program when there were 15 nationwide
college prep programs, graduate and undergraduate.  I have worked in private
agencies where even the directors had no idea what VRTs do, nor how to define
us. This includes the state agency where I work now.  (Do you believe the
supervisor in charge of the "Rehabilitation Teaching" looked at me with a
quizzical expression followed by "What? why would we do that?" when I suggested
we get on board with the rest of the blindness field and call ourselves
VRTs!!!)   Thus, through these many years my job duties have run the gamut from
activities coordinator, social worker, case manager, teacher, and program
planner, developer, budget monitor.  Oh, yes, I even started my first paid job
after my masters with the request and expectation of teaching sewing in a
manufacturing setting to blind and vision impaired employees!   I give you this
by way of illustrating the problem of identity through all my professional
career.  This debate also has roots prior to the Comstac report.   We owe alot
to those "teachers" who led us from Home Teacher, Rehabilitation Teachers,
Vision Rehabilitation Therapists. Yet, we still have the same issues.  It is a
fact we are in an unidentifiable, underpaid, underrespected, and understaffed
profession.  We can easily be "replaced" by OTs, nurses, TVIs, and COMS when
job postings come around.  With few exceptions, (VA and some state agencies)
hiring practices also run the gamut.  The Medicare Demonstration Project seems
to make this chasm greater rather than better.
So here we are, still divided in the age-long debate of agency-trained vs
similarly-trained vs professionally-trained.  This will be there as long as
non-profits and medical models have the bottom line of economics to deal with.
Administrators in these private agencies are naturally going to hire the person
to do the job at the lowest salary they can.
I also observe that the same personality types who take on this wonderful
profession are also the same personality types who are not apt to be promoted,
or just plain like the direct service they give rather than sit behind a desk
all day.   We have very few leaders in our field now.  We have very few VRTs in
positions of power and "visibility".   I ask each of you to look inside
yourselves and ask why.  I have a couple of theories, I won't rant about here.
I recall the old AAWB going through this from single certification to
Provisional Certification and Permanent certification levels, A and AA
Certification levels, and back again to one certification when ACVREP began in
2000.  My point here being, the same.  Historically we continue to be
challenged by the same stuff.  Let's get over it and move on!
So after all this, you ask, so what are you trying to convey.  I think we need
to take on pride in our own profession.   Wear it proudly.  Talk to everyone
about what we do.

Now, as far as dual certification.  We need to get people into our field.  If
we have representation on how to create a hierarchy of profession, I think we
owe it to ourselves to explore it.  If we dig our heels into the sand and not
allow well meaning people to seek some kind of training, then I think we cut
off our noses to spite our face.  We need qualified people but even a lower
certification level is better than none.  Where do we go from here?
I cannot say.  But I am pleased this dialogue is stirring up this discussion.
It demonstrates there are VRTs out there who care enough to comment.
Keep them coming.

Maureen, as our ACVREP Board spokesperson, you have a daunting task.  Keep the
profession alive!  We shall support you and keep involved, won't we, everyone?

Stephanie Stephens Van