[visionrehabtherapist] Re: (No Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 22:09:04 -0500

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mcinnisj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <l.mowerson@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <sheinrich@xxxxxxxxx>

I do like the way some states are allowing people who were in other professions go into teaching. And getting an eventual license, similar to the provinsional license. They require the people to prove their teaching skills by doing student teaching, then they have to go and get a degree in teaching while working in the classroom after that time, they can sit for the exam. In several states you only need 60 credits of college to be a substitute teacher. Perhaps we need to have VRT assistants? however I really don't think 60 hours is enough time. That is a week and a half of full time instruction is that enough?

There is a TVI program, or at least there was, that would certify you as a TVI in a six week course. Even that I frankly don't think is enough to know what you need to know. As a blind person myself I thought I had it done when it came to this blind thing, but you know I learned a lot in the four years spent in undergrad as a TVI in training and the year spent in my RT masters learning more. It is a different side of the coin, I find myself on these days side of the provider not the consumer.

I do agree with the idea of being under valued. We are kind of the Fix its of the blindness professions, and perhaps we don't take ourselves so seriously.

I do know as a recent graduate it was actually difficult to find a job as a VRt. I worked as a private contracted TVI for a year and a half before I heard of the job I have now, and that was after being on our state list for over a year. Several of the open positions were part time, or were very low wage, and required vasts amounts of travel.

The shortage is coming, but at least here perhaps not here yet?

Shelley L. Rhodes, M.A., VRT
And Guinevere: Golden Lady Guide Dog
guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs for the Blind
Alumni Association
www.guidedogs.com

The people who burned witches at the stake never for one moment thought of their act as violence;
rather they thought of it as an act of divinely mandated righteousness.
The same can be said of most of the violence we humans have ever committed. -Gil Bailie, author and lecturer (b. 1944)

----- Original Message ----- From: "McInnis, Janet (DLEG)" <mcinnisj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>