[visionrehabtherapist] ACVREP Announcement

  • From: Maduffy@xxxxxxx
  • To: visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 17:42:32 EST

I want to be sure that everyone has seen this announcement from Judy  van
Naerssen, Chair of the ACVREP Board of Directors:

ANNOUNCEMENT

ACVREP Announces the Postponement of
Implementing  Provisional Certification and Related Policies.

January 14,  2008

On behalf of  the Board of Directors of the Academy  of Certification of
Vision Rehabilitation and Education Professionals (ACVREP), I want to extend
best wishes to you for a healthy, happy and peaceful new year. In addition, I
also want to express the Board's gratitude and appreciation to all who have
offered personal commentary regarding the implementation of Provisional
Certification and related policies.
Based upon the range  of supportive, complimentary and negative comments
received from our  stakeholders, the ACVREP Board of Directors has decided to
postpone the  implementation of Provisional Certification and relevant policies
(initially  scheduled for March 1, 2009).
The purpose behind  this postponement is to allow for further discussion and
collaboration regarding  the issues and rationale that served as the basis of
the decisions. ACVREP is  confident that policies will ultimately be
instituted and implemented that serve  to strengthen the quality of ACVREP
certification, maintain strong professional  standards, and provide confidence
individuals seeking and receiving  services.
Postponing the  implementation of Provisional Certification and related
policies should not  detract from the issues and conditions that serve as the
basis
for the initial  decision.  ACVREP intends to serve as a collaborative
partner in addressing  these issues and conditions, as they affect the well
being of
the vision  rehabilitation filed and its ability to serve  consumers.
Furthermore, the  Board recognizes that the resolution of these issues and
conditions requires  shared leadership and responsibility. To this end, Garett
Holm (President,  ACVREP) will be coordinating with stakeholder groups to begin
 discussion and work toward a collaborative  outcome.
In delaying the  implementation of Provisional Certification and related
policies, ACVREP will  maintain its current certification policies for the
areas
of Orientation and  Mobility, Low Vision Therapy, and Vision Rehabilitation
Therapy until further  notice.
The ACVREP Board  remains dedicated to providing quality professional
services to the blind and  visually impaired.  We look forward to moving
forward with
all our  stakeholders and want to thank all individuals who submitted
comments for their  time and effort in this matter. Your input is important and
we
look forward to  further collaboration.
Please submit any  questions, comments, or suggestions relative to this
matter to the ACVREP Board  via Garett Holm, ACVREP President.  Garett may be
contacted using any of  the following:  gholm@xxxxxxxxxx; 3333 N. Campbell
Ave.
Tucson, AZ 85719; or  (520) 887-6816.
Wishing you and  yours all the best in 2009,
Judy van Naerssen  OTRL, CLVT
ACVREP Board of  Directors,  Chair
**************Inauguration '09:  Get complete coverage from the nation's
capital.