[visionrehabtherapist] What do you think about the new ACVREP Certification requiremetns?

  • From: Maduffy@xxxxxxx
  • To: visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 17:37:35 EST

Dear VRT Colleagues:

This is Maureen Duffy, writing to you to express my desire for feedback  from
my VRT colleagues about the new certification criteria that have been
proposed by ACVREP.

Let me tell you a little bit about myself and why I am writing. I have been
a direct VRT practitioner in New York City, a university graduate program
director for 18 years (the VRT Masters and Certificate Programs at PCO, now
Salus University), the editorial director of VisionAWARE.org  (which has been
my
vocation for the past two years), and I'm also an  Associate Editor of the
Journal of Visual Impairment and Blindness  (JVIB). Writing is -- and always
has
been -- my first love, and writing  about VRT makes it extra-enjoyable.

I've been the Chair of the VRT Division of AER (2000-2002) and I've  also
just been elected to the Board of Directors of ACVREP, which will be  announced
very soon. I'm telling you all of this so that you'll understand my  commitment
to the field, as well as my understanding of all facets of service  delivery.

Recently, ACVREP released a proposed new set of certification  guidelines for
VRT, Orientation and Mobility, and Low Vision Therapy. If  you go to the
ACVREP web site, you can download these new proposed standards in  several
formats. In essence, ACVREP has proposed two tracks: Full Certification  and
Provisional Certification.

There has been a great uproar from O&M professionals about these  proposed
guidelines. I have been following these responses on the AER Listserv  and most
are vehemently NOT in favor of the Provisional Track as it now  stands.

Yet I have seen very few responses from VRTs -- and this troubles  me. What
are your thoughts about these new proposed certification  standards? Are you in
favor? Are you not in favor? Are there provisions you'd  like to see changed?
I don't want this discussion to be co-opted by O&M  professionals. I want our
fine profession to state our opinions, too. As a new  ACVREP Board member, I
want (and need) to hear from you.

Again, if you go to the ACVREP web site, you can read the new proposed
guidelines. I've also combined several emails that spell out, in great detail,
the
steps involved in the new proposed Provisional Certification guidelines, and
you can read those steps at the end of this email, after my signature  line.

Please give me your feedback. Please give me your opinions, both good and
bad, positive and negative. I want our profession to grow and become stronger.
 want us to do this together.

Thanks for listening and I look forward to hearing from you.

Maureen A.  Duffy, CVRT
Editorial Director
AWARE (Associates for World Action in  Rehabilitation & Education)
Phone: 914-528-5120
E-mail: _maureen.duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:maureen.duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Are you aware of our web site?
_www.visionaware.org_ (http://www.visionaware.org/)
"Self-Help for  Vision Loss"

Full  Certification
The requirements for Track I (Full  Certification) are based on the
traditional criteria established by ACVREP. To  establish eligibility to sit
for the
applicable certification examination under  Full Certification, the candidate
must have a Bachelors degree (or higher) in  the applicable field of study and
successfully completed their supervised  internship experience. In recognizing
this education and the internship  experience, the length of term for Full
Certification is five (5) years. In  addition, there is no limit for the number
of times a Full Certification  candidate can sit for the applicable
certification exam.  Also, those who  obtain Full Certification do not have to
undergo a
review process.
Provisional  Certification
1. Earn a Bachelor’s degree (in any  field of study)
2. Obtain a minimum of 60 hours of  discipline-specific training / 2000 hours
of discipline-specific experience  (within five years of submitting the
Eligibility Application) and currently  provide discipline-specific services.
3. Letter of sponsorship from  current employer (to be submitted with the
Eligibility Application).
** CLVT Provisional Certification  candidates must also submit a letter of
sponsorship from a physician and must  submit and receive a passing rating on
five sample case reports.  Rating  the of sample case reports is the
responsibility of the CLVT Certification  Committee (using a rubric).  Multiple
raters
are utilized for inter-rater  reliability.
4. Submit Eligibility Application to  be reviewed. Any questions or concerns
regarding the activities utilized by  a Provisional Certification candidate to
demonstrate the minimum 60-hour  education requirement and/or the 2000 hours
of experience are referred to the  applicable Certification Committee. The
Certification Committee reserves the  right to request further information
regarding activities utilized to  demonstrate these requirements. The committee
makes the determination if said  activities fulfill the requirements.
5. If the Provisional Certification  candidate is found to have met
eligibility requirements, they may then sit for  the applicable certification
examination.  If they do not pass the  examination within two attempts, they
must
acquire 10 additional hours of  discipline-specific education/training before
they
may sit for the examination  again.
6. If the Provisional Certification  candidate passes the applicable exam,
he/she will be afforded Provisional  Certification (18 month term) based on
approval of the full Board.
7. Prior to the conclusion of the  Provisional Certification term, the
Provisional Certificant must undergo a  review process.  This review includes
the
endorsement of the sponsor  employer, a performance review (specific form –
aligned with the professional  competencies) completed by the immediate
supervisor, acquire an additional  minimum of 10 instructional hours of
discipline-specific education/training, and  have no reported infractions of
the Code of
Ethics.
** CLVT Provisional Certificants  must also submit a letter of endorsement
from the sponsor physician.
8. If  the Provisional Certificant is found to have met all review process
requirements, he or she will be afforded Full Certification based on approval
of  the full Board.  If a Provisional Certificant is found to have not met the
review process requirements, Full Certification is not granted and the
individual may only reapply for ACVREP certification under Track I (Full
Certification) requiring the individual to obtain a Bachelors degree (or
higher)  in
the applicable field and successfully complete a supervised internship.
Provisional  Certification Requirements
Track II  (Provisional Certification Candidates) must meet the following
requirements to  establish eligibility to sit for the applicable ACVREP
certification  examination.
    *   Proof  of a Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or
university (or  foreign equivalent, as verified through an independent
credential evaluation  company) in any field of study; or
    *   (Non-U.S.  Trained Candidates Only) Proof  of a post-secondary
diploma or degree from an accredited college or  university.
    *   Proof  of a minimum of 60 instructional hours of discipline-specific
education/training within five (5) years prior to submitting the ACVREP
Vision  Rehabilitation Therapist Eligibility Application.
    *   Note:  One (1) instructional contact hour is awarded for each hour of
learner  participation in an organized educational/training activity.
    *   Proof  of providing vision rehabilitation therapy services in a
professional work  setting with a minimum of 2000 hours of vision
rehabilitation
therapy  experience within (5) years prior to submitting the ACVREP Vision
Rehabilitation Therapist Eligibility Application.
    *   Sponsorship  from current employer to endorse Provisional
Certification candidacy and  attest good professional standing within the
organization.
** CLVT  candidates for Provisional Certification are also required have a
sponsor  physician and must submit five (5) sample case reports and receive a
passing  score on said case reports prior to sitting for the LVT certification
examination.
    *   Provisional  Certification candidates must pass the applicable
certification examination  prior to being afforded Provisional Certification.
Furthermore, Provisional  Certification candidates are allowed two (2) attempts
pass the applicable  certification examination.  If a Provisional Certification
candidate does  not pass the applicable certification examination within two
(2) attempts,  they are then required to obtain an additional minimum of 10
instructional  hours of discipline-specific education/training before they can
sit for the  certification exam again.
    *   The  length of term for Provisional Certification is 18 months.
Prior to the  completion of the term, the Provisional Certificant must undergo
review  process.  If the Provisional Certificant is found to have met the
requirements set forth in the review process, then he/she will be afforded
Full
Certification.  If the Provisional Certificant is found to have not  met the
requirements of the review process, then he/she may only reapply for  ACVREP
certification under Track I (Full Certification).

steps!
cemailfooterNO62)