[visionrehabtherapist] Re: What do you think about the new ACVREP Certification requiremetns?

  • From: John McMahon <john.m.mcmahon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Maduffy@xxxxxxx, visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 07:10:59 -0500

Greetings Maureen and Fellow VRT Listers:

John Mc Mahon here. I have been a practicing VRT professional for
23+ years, and am currently the Chair of the VRT Division. I've
intentionally stayed out of the debate regarding the proposed
changes to ACVREP certification up to this point, but now feel
compelled to dive into the debate.

First of all, let me say that my perspective is mine as a
professional VRT, and does not represent the view of the VRT
Division Board of Directors.

I believe the proposed changes to ACVREP certification are a
tremendous mistake. It takes us in a direction of further diluting
the blindness professions from something more specialized to
something much more general in nature. This is evidenced, in my
opinion, by the use of provisional tracks for CVRT and CLVT that
have been available for the past few years. While these more easily
obtainable standards for VRT certification may well have brought
more individuals into our field, the gaps in the knowledge base of
many of these folks exist, and are evident in the services being
provided.

Not pushing for specialized university training in Vision
Rehabilitation Therapy for persons entering our field is the
difference between our profession being one of teaching concepts and
skills, versus becoming  one of demonstrating techniques and
devices. It almost feels like we're on our way back to being more
like "home teachers" rather than highly skilled Vision
Rehabilitation Therapists.

Realizing full well that our profession, in all probability, will
continue to provide a provisional track for certification, might I
suggest that the exam for certification become more rigorous. I do
believe the exam has recently been revised, and maybe a more
rigorous exam is already on the way.

I believe the way to attract more persons into the field of Vision
Rehabilitation Therapy is not to lower our standards and make it
easier to get in, but rather to increase our standards to the level
we believe is needed to achieve the level of professional excellence
we desire. The recent effort by the VA to attract blindness
professionals has set the bar higher for competing for current
VRT's. It also should be used as a golden opportunity for our
profession to attract more folks into our profession. That, combined
with the variety of university programs now available to graduate
students, may make it easier than ever to recruit new professionals.
From information provided recently by the VRT Recruitment Committee,
we know the most effective recruiting method in recent years is that
of conversations between currently practicing VRT's and their
friends or colleagues. If every certified VRT will make this type of
recruitment a priority each and every year, we can attract the
numbers of persons we need to enter university programs, and then
join our profession. Who better to profess the value and rewards of
being a professional VRT than us?

At any rate, that's my two cents worth. Thank you, Maureen, for
getting this conversation rolling.

Be well.
John Mc Mahon, CVRT, CLVT

>>> <Maduffy@xxxxxxx> 1/14/2009 5:37 PM >>>
Dear VRT Colleagues:

This is Maureen Duffy, writing to you to express my desire for
feedback  from
my VRT colleagues about the new certification criteria that have
been
proposed by ACVREP.

Let me tell you a little bit about myself and why I am writing. I
have been
a direct VRT practitioner in New York City, a university graduate
program
director for 18 years (the VRT Masters and Certificate Programs at
PCO, now
Salus University), the editorial director of VisionAWARE.org
(which has been my
vocation for the past two years), and I'm also an  Associate Editor
of the
Journal of Visual Impairment and Blindness  (JVIB). Writing is --
and always has
been -- my first love, and writing  about VRT makes it
extra-enjoyable.

I've been the Chair of the VRT Division of AER (2000-2002) and I've
 also
just been elected to the Board of Directors of ACVREP, which will
be  announced
very soon. I'm telling you all of this so that you'll understand my
 commitment
to the field, as well as my understanding of all facets of service
delivery.

Recently, ACVREP released a proposed new set of certification
guidelines for
VRT, Orientation and Mobility, and Low Vision Therapy. If  you go
to the
ACVREP web site, you can download these new proposed standards in
several
formats. In essence, ACVREP has proposed two tracks: Full
Certification  and
Provisional Certification.

There has been a great uproar from O&M professionals about these
proposed
guidelines. I have been following these responses on the AER
Listserv  and most
are vehemently NOT in favor of the Provisional Track as it now
stands.

Yet I have seen very few responses from VRTs -- and this troubles
me. What
are your thoughts about these new proposed certification
standards? Are you in
favor? Are you not in favor? Are there provisions you'd  like to
see changed?
I don't want this discussion to be co-opted by O&M  professionals.
I want our
fine profession to state our opinions, too. As a new  ACVREP Board
member, I
want (and need) to hear from you.

Again, if you go to the ACVREP web site, you can read the new
proposed
guidelines. I've also combined several emails that spell out, in
great detail,  the
steps involved in the new proposed Provisional Certification
guidelines, and
you can read those steps at the end of this email, after my
signature  line.

Please give me your feedback. Please give me your opinions, both
good and
bad, positive and negative. I want our profession to grow and
become stronger. I
 want us to do this together.

Thanks for listening and I look forward to hearing from you.

Maureen A.  Duffy, CVRT
Editorial Director
AWARE (Associates for World Action in  Rehabilitation & Education)
Phone: 914-528-5120
E-mail: _maureen.duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:maureen.duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Are you aware of our web site?
_www.visionaware.org_ (http://www.visionaware.org/)
"Self-Help for  Vision Loss"

Full  Certification
The requirements for Track I (Full  Certification) are based on the

traditional criteria established by ACVREP. To  establish
eligibility to sit for the
applicable certification examination under  Full Certification, the
candidate
must have a Bachelors degree (or higher) in  the applicable field
of study and
successfully completed their supervised  internship experience. In
recognizing
this education and the internship  experience, the length of term
for Full
Certification is five (5) years. In  addition, there is no limit
for the number
of times a Full Certification  candidate can sit for the applicable

certification exam.  Also, those who  obtain Full Certification do
not have to undergo a
review process.
Provisional  Certification
1. Earn a Bachelor’s degree (in any  field of study)
2. Obtain a minimum of 60 hours of  discipline-specific training /
2000 hours
of discipline-specific experience  (within five years of submitting
the
Eligibility Application) and currently  provide discipline-specific
services.
3. Letter of sponsorship from  current employer (to be submitted
with the
Eligibility Application).
** CLVT Provisional Certification  candidates must also submit a
letter of
sponsorship from a physician and must  submit and receive a passing
rating on
five sample case reports.  Rating  the of sample case reports is
the
responsibility of the CLVT Certification  Committee (using a
rubric).  Multiple raters
are utilized for inter-rater  reliability.
4. Submit Eligibility Application to  be reviewed. Any questions or
concerns
regarding the activities utilized by  a Provisional Certification
candidate to
demonstrate the minimum 60-hour  education requirement and/or the
2000 hours
of experience are referred to the  applicable Certification
Committee. The
Certification Committee reserves the  right to request further
information
regarding activities utilized to  demonstrate these requirements.
The committee
makes the determination if said  activities fulfill the
requirements.
5. If the Provisional Certification  candidate is found to have met

eligibility requirements, they may then sit for  the applicable
certification
examination.  If they do not pass the  examination within two
attempts, they must
acquire 10 additional hours of  discipline-specific
education/training before they
may sit for the examination  again.
6. If the Provisional Certification  candidate passes the
applicable exam,
he/she will be afforded Provisional  Certification (18 month term)
based on
approval of the full Board.
7. Prior to the conclusion of the  Provisional Certification term,
the
Provisional Certificant must undergo a  review process.  This
review includes the
endorsement of the sponsor  employer, a performance review
(specific form –
aligned with the professional  competencies) completed by the
immediate
supervisor, acquire an additional  minimum of 10 instructional
hours of
discipline-specific education/training, and  have no reported
infractions of the Code of
Ethics.
** CLVT Provisional Certificants  must also submit a letter of
endorsement
from the sponsor physician.
8. If  the Provisional Certificant is found to have met all review
process
requirements, he or she will be afforded Full Certification based
on approval
of  the full Board.  If a Provisional Certificant is found to have
not met the
review process requirements, Full Certification is not granted and
the
individual may only reapply for ACVREP certification under Track I
(Full
Certification) requiring the individual to obtain a Bachelors
degree (or higher)  in
the applicable field and successfully complete a supervised
internship.
Provisional  Certification Requirements
Track II  (Provisional Certification Candidates) must meet the
following
requirements to  establish eligibility to sit for the applicable
ACVREP
certification  examination.
    *   Proof  of a Bachelor’s degree or higher from an
accredited college or
university (or  foreign equivalent, as verified through an
independent
credential evaluation  company) in any field of study; or
    *   (Non-U.S.  Trained Candidates Only) Proof  of a
post-secondary
diploma or degree from an accredited college or  university.
    *   Proof  of a minimum of 60 instructional hours of
discipline-specific
education/training within five (5) years prior to submitting the
ACVREP
Vision  Rehabilitation Therapist Eligibility Application.
    *   Note:  One (1) instructional contact hour is awarded for
each hour of
learner  participation in an organized educational/training
activity.
    *   Proof  of providing vision rehabilitation therapy services
in a
professional work  setting with a minimum of 2000 hours of vision
rehabilitation
therapy  experience within (5) years prior to submitting the ACVREP
Vision
Rehabilitation Therapist Eligibility Application.
    *   Sponsorship  from current employer to endorse Provisional
Certification candidacy and  attest good professional standing
within the  organization.
** CLVT  candidates for Provisional Certification are also required
have a
sponsor  physician and must submit five (5) sample case reports and
receive a
passing  score on said case reports prior to sitting for the LVT
certification
examination.
    *   Provisional  Certification candidates must pass the
applicable
certification examination  prior to being afforded Provisional
Certification.
Furthermore, Provisional  Certification candidates are allowed two
(2) attempts to
pass the applicable  certification examination.  If a Provisional
Certification
candidate does  not pass the applicable certification examination
within two
(2) attempts,  they are then required to obtain an additional
minimum of 10
instructional  hours of discipline-specific education/training
before they can
sit for the  certification exam again.
    *   The  length of term for Provisional Certification is 18
months.
Prior to the  completion of the term, the Provisional Certificant
must undergo a
review  process.  If the Provisional Certificant is found to have
met the
requirements set forth in the review process, then he/she will be
afforded  Full
Certification.  If the Provisional Certificant is found to have not
 met the
requirements of the review process, then he/she may only reapply
for  ACVREP
certification under Track I (Full Certification).

**************A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in
just 2 easy
steps!

cemailfooterNO62)