[visionrehabtherapist] Re: CFRT and O&M Certification

  • From: Ian Shadrick <IanShadrick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "resqabt@xxxxxxxxx" <resqabt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 19:59:11 +0000

I agree that multiple certification areas are useful for both employment
options and negotiating ability, in addition to the obvious benefit you bring
to an agency. With that sad there are people who are totally blind who are
certified as COMS via ACVREP, as well as a number of us with varying degrees of
vision loss with O&M degrees and certification.

Thanks,
Ian

Ian Shadrick M.A., M.A., CVRT, CRC
Instructor
The Hadley School for the Blind
700 Elm Street
Winnetka, IL 60093-2554
1-800-323-4238 Ext: 6677
Direct: 847-784-2876 (Central Time)
ianshadrick@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:ianshadrick@xxxxxxxxxx>
www.hadley.edu<http://www.hadley.edu>

On Nov 19, 2015, at 13:55, Kimberly Stumph
<resqabt@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:resqabt@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I have multiple certifications and I have found it very helpful. I have
certifications in VRT, LV, O&M and degrees in education and in AT. It expands
my knowledge and gives me a broader understanding.
From an employment point of view, it allows me a greater choice of positions to
pursue. It also allows me to negotiate a higher salary.
In my day-to-day work I use a variety of the skills I have learned, especially
wh

One thing may make it different for you. You mentioned that you are visually
impaired. That may be where it gets tricky. There are many professionals in
the field of VRT who have visual impairments. O&M is a little different story.
Depending on your visual impairment, you may or may not be able to earn
certification through ACVREP. The alternate certification from NFB does allow
professionals who are blind to be certified in O&M, but the techniques and
skills are different and are not as universally accepted. Even if you do earn
the NOMC (National O&M Certification) from NFB, you may have a difficult tie
finding agencies that accept this certification.

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 2:34 PM, Nancy Miller
<nmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:nmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
It is extremely helpful to be dually trained and certified in both O&M and VRT.
You are a much more desirable employee for any vision rehab agency or Veterans
Administration.

I believe that the VA will pay the cost of your degree if you agree to work at
the VA once you graduate.

My husband Jerry Miller is both a CVRT and COMS in New Jersey. He uses his dual
degrees consistently with blind children and youth.

Nancy D. Miller, LMSW
Executive Director/CEO
VISIONS/Services for the Blind and Visually Impaired
500 Greenwich Street Suite 302
New York, New York 10013
212-625-1616 ext. 117<tel:212-625-1616%20ext.%20117>
Cell 917-859-9184<tel:917-859-9184>

From: Ike Presley <ipresley@xxxxxxx<mailto:ipresley@xxxxxxx>>
Date: Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 2:07 PM
To: "aernet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:aernet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
<aernet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:aernet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>, "Discussion about
issues related to blindness
(vision@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:vision@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>)"
<vision@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:vision@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>,
"'visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:'visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>'

(visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>)"
<visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: [visionrehabtherapist] CFRT and O&M Certification

Hi All,

I have been asked to post the following message. Please reply directly to
Faheem Hashmee, at faheem5522@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:faheem5522@xxxxxxxxx>.

Hi everyone,

My name is Faheem Hashmee. I am planning to pursue CVRT study as my master
program at Northern Illinois University. However, I was recommended by my
adviser to consider both CVRT and O&M as well. I would like to ask a question
from whoever has both CVRT and O&M certifications. How beneficial is it for
people with visual disabilities to have both credentials?

Your help is appreciated in advance.

Take care
Faheem Hashmee
faheem5522@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:faheem5522@xxxxxxxxx>