[visionrehabtherapist] Re: CFRT and O&M Certification

  • From: Kimberly Stumph <resqabt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 14:55:03 -0500

I have multiple certifications and I have found it very helpful. I have
certifications in VRT, LV, O&M and degrees in education and in AT. It
expands my knowledge and gives me a broader understanding.
From an employment point of view, it allows me a greater choice of
positions to pursue. It also allows me to negotiate a higher salary.
In my day-to-day work I use a variety of the skills I have learned,
especially wh

One thing may make it different for you. You mentioned that you are
visually impaired. That may be where it gets tricky. There are many
professionals in the field of VRT who have visual impairments. O&M is a
little different story. Depending on your visual impairment, you may or
may not be able to earn certification through ACVREP. The alternate
certification from NFB does allow professionals who are blind to be
certified in O&M, but the techniques and skills are different and are not
as universally accepted. Even if you do earn the NOMC (National O&M
Certification) from NFB, you may have a difficult tie finding agencies that
accept this certification.

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 2:34 PM, Nancy Miller <nmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

It is extremely helpful to be dually trained and certified in both O&M and
VRT. You are a much more desirable employee for any vision rehab agency or
Veterans Administration.

I believe that the VA will pay the cost of your degree if you agree to
work at the VA once you graduate.

My husband Jerry Miller is both a CVRT and COMS in New Jersey. He uses his
dual degrees consistently with blind children and youth.

Nancy D. Miller, LMSW
Executive Director/CEO
VISIONS/Services for the Blind and Visually Impaired
500 Greenwich Street Suite 302
New York, New York 10013
212-625-1616 ext. 117
Cell 917-859-9184

From: Ike Presley <ipresley@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 2:07 PM
To: "aernet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <aernet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Discussion
about issues related to blindness (vision@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <
vision@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx' (
visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [visionrehabtherapist] CFRT and O&M Certification

*Hi All,*

*I have been asked to post the following message. Please reply directly to
Faheem Hashmee, at faheem5522@xxxxxxxxx <faheem5522@xxxxxxxxx>. *

Hi everyone,

My name is Faheem Hashmee. I am planning to pursue CVRT study as my master
program at Northern Illinois University. However, I was recommended by my
adviser to consider both CVRT and O&M as well. I would like to ask a
question from whoever has both CVRT and O&M certifications. How beneficial
is it for people with visual disabilities to have both credentials?

Your help is appreciated in advance.

Take care

*Faheem Hashmee *

*faheem5522@xxxxxxxxx <faheem5522@xxxxxxxxx>*