[visionegg] Re: making a mess of installation OS X

  • From: Simeon Fitch <metasim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: visionegg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:28:16 -0400

Great idea! If someone knows how to make a multi-package-package
(.mpkg?), using the work from here (http://pythonmac.org/packages/),
it should theoretically be easy?

Perhaps old news to most of you, but I was impressed to discover the
capabilities of the "py2app" tool. I was able to package my experiment
up into a stand-alone OS X application using py2app in about 10
minutes! This tool is a part of the PyObjC package, and does a
phenomenal job of computing all the dependencies you application has,
including shared libraries, and wrapping them into an application
bundle. You can then run the application on another mac without the
python dependencies installed!

However, the "pygame" module seems to require a specific compilation
for each OS version. i.e. you can't run the 10.3 pygame binary on
10.4, nor vise versa (you get an error about the video display not
being initialized).

Simeon

On 8/24/05, Robert Ward <r.ward@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >Speaking to this point, does anybody have a thought on the legality of
> >distributing a package for OS X that includes all of the necessary
> >dependancies?  I know we've been working on this internally in our group, but
> >it would be great if we could distribute it widely.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >nick
>
> Sounds like a great idea! It looks like all the necessary packages have
> licenses appropriate for this kind of distribution.
>
> tkinter - according to <http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/Tkinter>,
> "Tcl/Tk is distributed under the BSD license, and Tkinter under the
> Python license. This means they can be used in proprietary applications.
> Also, the FSF has determined that the BSD and Python licenses are GPL
> compatible."
>
> PyOpenGL - <http://pyopengl.sourceforge.net/>, BSD-style license
>
> PIL - <http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/license.htm> - the free
> version required by visionegg can be used for any purpose provided
> copyright notice is included
>
> pygame <http://www.pygame.org/readme.html> - GPL
>
> visionegg <http://freshmeat.net/projects/visionegg/> - GPL
>
> Also, numerical python (numpy) <http://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy> -