[vip_students] Re: cdx

  • From: "Susan Bourke" <SusanCurry@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 16:27:58 -0000

Hi all,

Here is a little tutorial which I wrote for the program CDEX. I hope it is
helpful to some of you. If you have any questions, feel free to put them out

on the list and I'll do my best to answer them.

Brian.

What is CDEX

CDEX is software that is used to rip (extract) music tracks from a CD to
your hard drive on your pc. These tracks can then be transferred to a
portable

media device, such as an mp3 player, or burned to another CD to make a
compilation. They can be extracted in the form of WAV or MP3 files.

Installing CDEX

You can get cdex from

http://www.jfwlite.com/cdex_151.exe

1. download and save the file to a location on your hard drive.

2. go to the place where the file is stored, and press enter on it.

3. this begins the install process for the cdex software.

On the first screen, press the next button. Note, you can use your jaws
curser if you wish to read the screen.

Next, cdex will ask you for the location to which you would like to install
the software. It will create its own directory in your start menu and on
your

hard disk, so if you are happy with this, press next.

Note, you can choose a different file location if you wish.

4. After pressing next, the files will install and the installation is
complete.

It will ask if you wish to read the readme file.

Cdex is now installed and should appear within  your programs group on your
start menu.

Using CDEX to extract tracks.

List of 8 items

1. You can run CDEX from your programs menus or the icon on your desktop.

2. 2. Once the program is loaded, press the key conbination of f4 to enter
the configuration dialogue.

3. 3. ctrl Tab until it says filename tab.

4. 4. Here you can specify the folder you want WAV files to be compressed as
well as the folder where you want tracks to be stored after ripping.

5. Example, c:\documents and settings\brian\my documents\my music\MP3\

6. 6. Ctrl plus tab to the encoder tab. You will land on a combo box which
allows the selection of available encoders for MP3 tracks. It is advised to
select

the Lame Encoder, which is the first on the list.

7.     7. Next do a ctrl plus tab to the remote CDDB tab. You must check the
box for auto connect to remote CDDB and press ok to close the dialogue.

8. We are now ready to begin ripping tracks.

list end

Extracting Tracks from a CD

List of 7 items

1. Place a CD in your CD ROM drive, and if it starts playing just abort the
player.

2. 2. Start CDEX if you don’t already have it running.

3. CDDB (Compac Disk Database) will grab all necessary information about the
particular CD you have inserted, such as the Album Title, track names and
the

artist. However, for this to happen, you must be connected to the internet
when the program is launched and the CD is inserted.

4. 4. You will be able to see a list of the tracks on the CD in a list view
format.

5. 5. Holding down the ctrl key, use the up and down arrow to move through
this list, using the space bar to select the tracks you wish to rip. Note,
when

using the up and down arrow, JAWS will say “selected or not selected”.

6. 6. After the necessary tracks are selected, use the f8 key combination to
extract to WAV files or f9 to extract to MP3.

7. Your chosen tracks are then placed in your chosen location.

Do you have a slow PC? Try a Free scan