[vicsireland] Re: Using sql with jaws 8

  • From: "Cearbhall O'Meadhra " <cearbhall.omeadhra@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 13:16:34 +0100

Mairead and Tony,

I am currently managing an MS Access database and so I can refresh your
memory!

The Access screen  opens with a list view showing the tables you have
created with some wizards to help you to create new tables. Below this list
is a series of seven buttons which you can move through using the right and
left arrow keys. To get to the list of buttons is one stroke of the tab key.

Like the Table view, the query window opens with a list view showing all the
queries that you have created. Since you will have no queries at this stage,
the list view shows only two wizards: "Create query in design view" and
"Create query by using wizard". The second wizard is not accessible to JAWS
so I always ignore it.

To create a new query use the first wizard i.e. "create query in design
view". This opens with an inaccessible GUI and we cannot use it. JAWS can
only spot confusing fragments of the screen. Pressing escape will stop the
wizard. Ignore the screen display for the moment as you will not be using
this interface. Open the main menu. A few strokes of the right arrow will
bring up the View menu. The first item is "Design View" and is checked
because that is the view that is currently open. One down arrow shows "SQL"
and this is what you want. Pressing entry on SQL opens the SQL editor where
you can type your code. This editor is a little like a bad wiki editor. It
works most of the time but JAWS can lose it some of the time. For
consistency, I find it best to write a query in notepad so that the text is
in clean ASCII code with no strange characters. I then copy the completed
script into the query editor. This can be done as often as you like until
the query is running correctly.

To run the query in SQL view, open the main menu and arrow right until you
find the "query" menu where the first item is "run". Pressing this runs the
query for you. The system messages about success or any errors encountered
are reasonably accessible. I also find the online help for queries very
useful.

Like Tony, I find that I forget this routine when I leave MS Access for a
while. However, I do enjoy working with it as you can do great things with
the queries.

All the best,

Cearbhall
Meeting the Leadership Challenge