[vi-kindle] Re: Kindle Keyboard May Be Discontinued

  • From: "SM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <SM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 11:03:14 -0400

Hi Russ,

I too have been frustrated with the inability to organize my Kindle books on my
iPad. When combined with my books from Audible, I have over 2000 of them and it
is a nightmare to try to find one -since I am not particularly good at
remembering titles or authors!  All this is to say that I have found a
wonderful app that has been extremely helpful. It is called BookCrawler and you
can type or even dictate a book title into the program, push a button and it
goes to Google to import pertinent information, such as keywords and ISBN
number. Then you can add your own keywords, rate it, and indicate whether you
have read it or not. It has been most helpful to me!

Suzanne

Sent from my iPad

On May 21, 2013, at 9:15 AM, "Russ Kiehne" <russ94577@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Here's the thing I like about my Kindle Keyboard.  I don't think this can be
done with the Kindle app.  I can organize my books by collection as shown below
on
my Kindle Keyboard screen.

Showing All 5 Items                            By Collections
Perry Mason (85)
Hardy Boys (72)
Western (90)
Kindle User's Guide, 4th Ed.           Amazon
The New Oxford American Dictionary
Oxford Dictionary of English
Archived Items (55)
THE                         rAA •r"'  WORDS  In Theaters September 74 Chck for
details  turns on wireless

-----Original Message----- From: kb7uengene
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2013 10:10 AM
To: vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [vi-kindle] Re: Kindle Keyboard May Be Discontinued

If you look at Kindle for PC, you'll notice that it has feature for feature
pretty much exactly what is available on the Kindle keyboard for a sighted
person.  I'm not surprised at all that they may have discontinued it.  In fact,
I was surprised they kept it as long as they have.  There's no reason why they
can't get the same functionality of the Kindle keyboard into all the Kindle
apps.  I noticed in the announcement that the NFB posted a while back after the
Kindle for iOS app was released, that they also wanted Amazon to continue to
develop the hardware along with the apps for the blind community.  But in my
opinion, that's completely unrealistic of them to expect Amazon to continue to
develop hardware for us when they can simply do it with software.  And now that
Amazon's instant video  and music apps are out for iOS, there's no longer any
reason to buy any of Amazon's hardware. I want to see Amazon add accessibility
support to Kindle for Android and Kindle for Mac.  And continue to develop all
these different apps with more accessibility support to keep them in line with
the Amazon hardware they produce and sell to sighted people.  We stand a better
chance of getting more functionality in the Kindle apps than we do with Kindle
hardware.  And Amazon is more likely to do it more quickly if we tell them that
the apps are where we want them to put their energy.  Hardware comes and goes,
but apps are more fluid and tend to stick around for a very long time. Anyway
that's just my opinion, for whatever it's worth. - Gene

On May 20, 2013, at 11:12 AM, "Susan Lumpkin" <slumpkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sorry, I meant to send this to Larry. I'm glad we've gotten our Kindle
keyboard unit.

Susan