(VICT) Shredding napkins how to stop

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bviclickertraining@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 21:37:52 -0500

Hi you all,

It has been six months, and Guinevere is turning into a great Guide, and
Judson is well moping some days in retirement, but other days happy to leave
the work up to her.

Smile.

But  I have a serious, well not serious, but very annoying problem, and not
quite sure how to work with it.

Guinevere is program trained but is also clicker wise.

She loves to investigate things with her mouth, both good and not so good
things, turky bones found in the apartment lobby, frozen "poopsicles" out
side, a rubber ball at Michaels not quite sure where she got that one, candy
in wrappers, papers, staples, food, orange peel, ... you get the idea.

By the by, she will fetch, particularly her rope toy, but only five or six
times and then looks like me with the "what do you want me to do that for"
look, this is with clicks and treats.  She doesn't show much interest in
other fetch toys, but loves, her buster cube, twist and treat and bate
buddies.

But... the one thing that she is doing that is driving me crazy, smile,
because I can prevent it most of the time, but can't really stop it is.

how to you stop or discourage the shredding of napkins.

I have changed the environment, both garbage cans here in the apartment have
lids, napkins are kept on the windowsill out of her reach, and I try to make
sure I toss napkins out after I am done with them, as well as cleanex.

The problem is when I have company over.

My friend came in from Kansas on Sunday night, and she had dinner here.
left her napkin on the couch, and before either of noticed it, Guinever had
it shredded and all over the floor.  She did it silently, she wears a collar
with a bell so I usually know what she is up to, but not this time.

I know it is a symptom of a bigger problem, of the dog willing to
investigate everything with her mouth appropriate and not so appropriate,
thank goodness for the Gentle Leader.

I have been trying, when we are out in public trading up, smile but
obviously the stuff on the ground is rewarding enough for her as she still
goes after it.

Help!

This dog was taught food refusal, and won't fall for the "treat" on the
ground, knows if I drop food she isn't to take it.

She usually will leave things alone on the floor if I catch her and tell her
to drop it, I have had to fish stuff out of her mouth before to trade up.

I know this might have been a puppy raiser issue, smile, I know one of her
puppy families, and they were great with her, but had her from 5 months on,
know nothing about her early experiences.

Anyway, got any tips or suggestions.

Smile, this is starting to drive me crazy.

Smile.

Beyond that her guide work is great, and her behavior around dogs, well,
another area of practice, smile.  Her distraction to birds, conquered.  This
is derfinitely not Judson, and you know that is o.k. because I love this "I
will take the world on my own terms, dog" who thinks she can conquer
anything.  not to mention, tiny tiny pup at 54 lbs.

Shelley L. Rhodes M.A., VRT, CTVI
and Guinevere, Golden lady Guide
juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.