(VICT) Re: Shredding napkins how to stop

  • From: Infinitepaws@xxxxxxx
  • To: vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 07:39:40 EST

how about setting it up as a food zen exercise.. remember the food no
mugging game? In this case substitute a napkin in your hand and c/t for her NOT

looking at it, then advance to it laying on your lap, laying by your foot and
then set it up on the floor where you know where it is,then outdoors on
sidewalk
 and then wherevder.. repeat this with a number of items..tada..

you might also LATER, after it is solid, intersperse fetching the  item she
is ignoring..

as far as repetitive fetching, try upping your criteria to 2 fetches per
c/t.. and make sure it is fun and high value treats for a while! make it easy
items at first .

another thought.. too often if we always take the item the dog has, we lose
the desire to fetch.. try using an acceptable item.. have her fetch it and
then  take it , admire it praisingly, and GIVE IT BACK! I mean, think, if i b
rought  you all kinds of stuff and you always take it, and either throw it or
keep
it, I  might lose some enthusiasm! Maybe I just brought it to you to admire.
maybe I am  getting tired of having to RUN and fetch it since you didn't
understand and  threw my priize out in the yard. many dogs love to have you
throw
their toys,  but some dont. I have Danes, a distinctly NON-retrieving breed.
Playing fetch is  not highly rewarding to them. Yet all will give up items to
me. I frequently  take items from them , admire them and give them back if they
are safe. If they  arent, at least there is the "consolation " prize of a
treat or a trade. Three  quarters or more of the things they bring to me are
returned. In the case of  Alex, fetching is a reward in itself, yet I still do
the
admiration routine  fairly often, sometimes with a throw as the reward.
Does this make sense?

Sandy Foushee
Infinite Paws-Abilities Training and Service  Dogs
Teamed with Alexandra Guide/Service Dog
Colorado Service/Assistance  Dog Club - Trainer.-

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)