(VICT) Re: stairs and curbs

  • From: "Julie J." <jlcrane@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 21:39:18 -0500

Bren,

Thanks much! Glad to hear all is well with you.  Are you getting another
guide?  Still thinking of owner training?  Or am I getting you mixed up with
someone else?

I wanted to share this kinda neat way of orienting yourself to approaches to
things where you need a bit of advance notice, like curbs, obstacles or
steps.

Before I had used my cane or a sound cue like a radio or TV heard through an
open window.  It worked okay, but I worried that my cane might become the
cue to stop. It didn't with Belle, but I think some dogs might think so.
And the audio cue didn't provide the preciseness that I sometimes wanted or
needed.  But anyway I read or heard somewhere to put a sprinkling of sand
before the step, obstacle or whatever.  I think this will work out really
well.  Definitely for outdoor use, but cheap and very doable.

I'll try it out and let you guys know how it works out.

Julie
http://www.livingblind.com/eml
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and
those who matter don't mind.

Dr. Seuss