(VICT) Re: other dogs question

  • From: "Ann Edie" <annedie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 23:56:13 -0400

Hi, Shelley, Martha, and All,

I would not attach the leash to the dead ring of the chain collar, unless
you were working in an enclosed, safe area.  If the chain collar went on
over the dog's head, then it could easily slip off if the dog backed away
from the person holding the leash.

I know this from personal experience.  Back in the early 1980's, I left my
one year old Schipperke dog, which I had only had for a week, with my
brother for an afternoon.  I left the dog in his crate.  My brother offered
to take the dog out for a walk while I was away.  I explained to my brother,
who was not a dog owner to that point, how to put on the chain collar and
how to attach the leash.  My brother, thinking he would be a kind person,
attached the leash to the dead ring and proceeded to take the dog out for a
walk.  No sooner did they get outside than the dog backed out of the collar
and scooted away.  The dog didn't know my brother, and Schipperkes are
notorious wanderers, so the dog led my brother on a merry chase for the next
couple of hours.  He did finally succeed in cornering and catching the dog,
and by the time we got back, the dog was back in his crate looking angelic.

But I wouldn't take that kind of a chance.  I would think that the shelter
would have flat nylon collars that you could use when working with the dogs.

Best,
Ann