(VICT) Down and under

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 22:03:10 -0400

O.k. so Judson learned this one over a long period of time before needing
it.  But Gwenna is unfortunately not getting that luxury.

So... since it has been like six years since I did this, how do you train a

Down and Under for bus seats, and chairs.

She is fine under tables, in crates and the like, but we are having a hard
time with buses, particularly positioning her hind feet and tail so they
don't get stepped on.  She got stepped on yesterday and I don't want her to
get skittish when on the bus, but I also want her to tuck her self up under
and safely under the bus and Train seats so she doesn't get hurt.

I was thinking, particularly since park benches around here are well, not
exactly ideal places to train, "Yuck" that I would just try on the buses and
see if she could generalize.  Was thinking of luring her down into the right
position with  a liver treat and c/t for the right position.  She knows she
has to lay down, but doesn't know to tuck herself under the seat.

I do have a coffee table I could probably train with here at home, as it is
about the right size.

Wondering all of your's thoughts.

Gwenna is a clicker wise dog, and we do use the clicker in our regular
training, I am still highly reinforcing benches, poles, and empty seats, and
she is finding things wickedly fast.

Just wondering how I would go about training this.

Come to think of it, the way the benches are, I usually didn't let Judson
sit under them.

I could attempt to find a fairly clean one though if that was required.

Smile.

Thanks for the help.

Shelley L. Rhodes M.A., VRT, CTVI
and Guinevere, Golden lady Guide