(VICT) Re: Down and under

  • From: "Martha Harris" <latinanewschic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 23:22:10 -0400

Hi,
Try it with a chair that you can move that has enough space under it, like a
kitchen chair or something. If you can get the dog between your knees and
she is sitting, you can get her down. First, I taught Valerie to sit between
my knees loring her with food. At first, she sat in front of my open knees,
but she was facing me. After a few times of that not working, I held the
treat like i wanted a sit and moved my hand closer to my body. When she
figured out that sitting at my feet facing away was something she could try,
it was jack pot. Then, she eventually sat with her but and tail all the way
under the seat. After that, it was down. We got to the point where i could
gesture and she would push my knees apart to sit and immediately down. The
tail was tucked and I didn't have to physically maneuver her, which was nice
since I was usually holding a box of food or coffee, smile.
I don't know if this makes sense, but that's what I did with my dog. I
wanted this behavior since I spend a lot of time in lecture in an auditorium
with theater-style seets. This doesn't work on our campus buss because we
have children school buses where there is barely room to fit without your
knees hitting the seat in front of you.

HTH,
Martha