(VICT) Re: other dogs question

  • From: "Julie J." <jlcrane@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 08:54:15 -0500

Martha,

I think it's a good idea.  I think it will help the dogs to be more
adoptable.  Does the shelter have a fenced in play area?  The thing that
immediately comes to mind for me is that these dogs are probably in a small
kennel area all day.  They are in a very stressful environment.  They are
going to need to run off some of that excess energy and stress.  It is hard
to work with a dog that has all that pent up energy.  If you can exercise
them for a bit before trying to work that might help you be more successful.
Or if they have the fenced in play yard area you could incorporate play with
work.  Perhaps a Flexi might work?  I don't know.

Perhaps others have some ideas.

HTH
Julie