(VICT) Re: Treat-carrying solutions, was: get to know you

  • From: "Ann Edie" <annedie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 11:09:57 -0400

Hi, Kitty,

No, the vests I get are not reflective.  In fact, they come in camouflage
and other colors that I don't particularly want.  I pick the ones that are
navy, tan, or basic black mostly, and leave the olive drab and camo ones to
the hunters/fishermen.

In the winter when I'm walking to the barn after dark, I wear a jogger's
vest on top of my treat vest, which is on top of my jacket.  It is a bit
awkward and bothersome, but safety does always come first.  I definitely
agree with you that a reflective treat vest might be a good addition to the
clicker wardrobe.  But it might not work out very well for the frequent
occasions when I'm being photographed or filmed for news stories or clicker
training educational materials.

The brand name on some of the vests I get is Rothco Ranger.  They cost about
$25 retail at the Army-Navy surplus store near my parents' home in New
Jersey.  I usually pick up a couple for myself and a couple for friends when
I visit my parents.  I haven't needed to find them online, but if you do
find them, let me know.  They have become sort of the "uniform" for the
horse clicker trainers.

They have 2 nice big zippered pockets for treats, plus 2 side-entry pockets
(for gloves and such),  on the lower front, 4 smaller pockets on the upper
front, 3 with velcro closure, and one with a zipper for keeping keys, money,
tissues, and the like, and a great big pocket on the back, which I rarely
use, but which could be used like a small backpack for extra treats, a
sweater, or maybe your lunch if you're going on a hike.

Gotta go now.

Ann