(VICT) Treat-carrying solutions, was: get to know you

  • From: "Ann Edie" <annedie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 09:13:08 -0400

Hi, Paula,

People use a variety of different bags and other solutions for clicker
training treats.  Some use a fanny pack or "bait bag".  The fanny packs are
available in many general market stores in a variety of styles and colors to
match your outfit and to suit almost any budget.  The bait bags can be found
at pet stores and on the internet at web sites like sitstay.com.

I usually like to use a fishing vest rather than a fanny pack.  The fishing
vest has lots of deep pockets, many with zippers to keep the treats from
falling out when I bend over.  I am usually carrying several types of
treats, so I can keep them in separate pockets in the vest.  I have several
vests in different colors, and I have different sizes of vests so that I can
throw one on over any season's clothing, small ones for summer wear over a
T-shirt, and larger ones for wearing in winter over a parka or coat.  I get
the fishing vests at Army-Navy Surplus stores, but they're probably
available at other outdoor clothing stores or camping supply stores.  I like
them because they're easily washable.

I also keep a fanny pack for times when I'm too dressed up for a fishing
vest.  Or, if even that is too casual, I can toss a few dry treats in my
handbag or pocket--the occasions when I get that dressed up or when I carry
a handbag are extremely few, so it's not that much of an issue for me!

I think we each experiment, both with the types of treats we use and with
the carrying solutions we choose, until we find the system that works best
for each of us.  And then that may change, depending on the individual
animal we are working with as well as with the species.

Best,
Ann