(VICT) Re: O_T switching dog food

  • From: Jill Gross <jgross@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 21:49:11 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Shelley,
Merrick canned and dry is very good food. Merrick and Canidae are at the
top of the list of foods I will used. They use human grade ingredients and
neither company were involved in any of the recalls earlier this year. You
also tend to see more compact, firmer stools with these foods.

I usually make the food transition over a period of one week to ten days.
For the first couple of days I I sprinkle a small handful over the old
diet. Then on the third day, I go to a quarter cup and do that for a few
days. If all is going well, I go to a half a cup of the new food on the
fifth or sixth day. I do that for about two days and then advance to two
thirds and then up to an entire feeding of the new food. I find that for
some reason, I can make food transitions more quickly with my salukis.
With the German shepherds I have had as guides, I take more time and am
more careful. The lab I had as my first guide had a very sensitive stomach
and I made food changes over a period of two weeks or so.

I hope this is helpful, Shelley. Good luck!

Jill