(VICT) Re: Hospital and skunks and dog training

  • From: "Brenda-Ann Gillis" <hc89x48@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:58:14 -0400

Hi Sandy!  How wonderful to have friends on a list with positive and
pro-active attitudes I am sure it will speed your recovery.

As to the skunks and recall -- excellent point as I think people tend to
view recall as something that is good to practice only if you have a dog
that roams free, no fences or if you live near busy streets -- NOT True!
Now, I had a friend whose hubby and 3 Boston's were unfortunately skunked
early one morning when the poor husband opened the slider door to let the
dogs in the fenced yard.  Not only did the dogs get it but also the husband
and unfortunately the living room too.  Okay, now that you are feeling very
lucky and proud of your dog, I want to share my research on removing skunk
smell.  Tomato juice does not work.  The Penn State web site's chemistry
department recommends hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and a drop of dish
soap.  It may bleach out your pup a little, but it does get rid of the odor
by neutralizing whatever it is that the black and white stinky convicts
spray out.  Just wanted you to know that this worked well on the dogs and
the husband, but not so well on the house and the furniture -- that took
months to air out and all the while no matter what they did or where they
went they always smelled a tad like they had spoken at the skunk convention.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.  Keep that chin up, click and treat that
pup and then when all else fails eat chocolate!

Bren