(VICT) Hospital and skunks and dog training

  • From: Infinitepaws@xxxxxxx
  • To: vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 02:52:12 EDT

OK, just got out of the hospital ER today and to top off what was a shitty
day, Alex got skunked slightly.. thank god she has a awesome recall or it
probably would have been a lot worse.So here is the vision.. it is a couple
minutes after midnight.. I am up because of all the uselesss fluids they ran
and  I
have to go to the bathroom.. I let the dogs out, sit down on the toilet  and
start to go.. at which point I hear alarm barking from Alex.. from the back
half of the lot..I cant get up.. grin.. I yell leave it and come.. She  does..
she is rolling a little and rubbing her eyes and stinks.. although she  seems
to have been pretty well missed, I then hop her into the tub and soap and
scrub her face and chest and shoulders for good measure. So, to make this  on
topic for the list.. things like recall from skunk are definitely worth it
(although I dont recommend practice to perfect this one!)...as well as teaching

her to accept getting into the tub and being bathed with no  fuss.. So, I  now
have a slightly less stinky dog and a lot shorter night..! Needless to say
Alex will not be working for a few days.. Also, thank heavens, my Danes aren't
the most prey driven dogs.. they didn't see or come near the skunk and I called
 them right after Alex.. I am so grateful for everyones recalls.. even the
deaf  dog that I had to go find, came as soon as he saw his hand signals..Given

frantically by a less than well dressed mom , in the middle of the night! So
practice those recalls.. You too might be saved the ignominy of having 5
skunked  dogs in a 480 square foot house! If this sounds punchy and funny, it
is
..  grin..it is 12:55 in the morning and this is definitely a unique 24  hours..

On another note.. are hospital ERs staffing always so jaded? I have only
been to ER for concussions before this and wasn't tremendously with it then.
They certainly were less than pleasant.

Sandy Foushee
Infinite Paws-Abilities Training and Service  Dogs
Teamed with Alexandra Guide/Service Dog
Colorado Service/Assistance  Dog Club - Trainer.-