[vi-android] Re: Updating Android

  • From: Quentin Christensen <quentin.christensen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-android@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2014 23:26:12 +1000

Hi Glenn,

Well I just checked my phone to get the wording I get... and there was an update LOL!

Ok done the update (Galaxy Note 2 now on 4.4.2!), and the wording when there isn't an update is "The latest updates have already been installed".

Basically what I was originally going to say to your question, was that Android works a little differently to iOS, in that when Google release a new version, they send it out to the hardware manufacturers (Samsung, Motorola, HTC etc) who then add their bits and pieces to it and tweak it as they see fit and then THEY send it out to users... or then via the phone companies, I never quite figured it out - either way there's a delay, if you ever end up getting a particular update at all. Sometimes it can be a technical issue with getting something to work on a particular piece of hardware, but most often it's just because the companies will only update their most popular devices and then only for a short period. So my old Samsung Galaxy S, while the most popular phone of its day, will never see Android 4 - unless I root it and install Cyanogenmod or something.

It's always hard to tell when and if you will get an update for a particular device - there are various rumour mills around, but personally I tend to just ignore them and if I do happen to get an update, it's a nice surprise.

You should be able to get to about by going into settings (as from my other reply - swipe right then down to open notifications, then swipe right a couple of times to get to settings, then about is either at the bottom, or on say Samsung, it's under "More" THEN it's at the bottom of that screen.

Regards

Quentin.

On 4/10/2014 4:53 AM, Glenn wrote:
Hi,
I am working with two Galaxy S3 phones, and one is 4.3, and the other is
4.1.
I went into settings, about, and update, and selected new update, and I got
the message that it is not available at this time.
Does mean that it just could not get the update downloaded, or does that
mean that I cannot upgrade to 4.3?
That may not have been the exact wording of the message, so if the wording
makes a difference, I can check.
I am switching my keyboard between the phones and my home computer, I had
trouble locating "about" in settings by swiping.
Thanks for any help.

Glenn

---
is active.