[vi-android] Re: Android V5

  • From: Quentin Christensen <quentin.christensen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-android@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 14:51:26 +1100

To be honest, unless you absolutely know that an udate is coming out
for your specific device, in your country on that day, I wouldn't even
bother banging away on the check for updates button.  If you believe
your device will get more updates, then leave the "automatically check
for updates" checkbox checked in settings / more / about device (or
thereabouts) and it will check once a day anyway.

I agree re Kies for Samsung users, there's no point to it nowadays.

On 17 October 2014 14:40, Dialup @ 56k <dialup56k@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Because of the update lag introduced by third party supplies, particularly
> Samsung, Google have changing the way they release updates.
> A good deal of the really important stuff - Kernel etc - just gets
> distributed via the play store; L will just have all the frothy bits.
> Just keep banging away on the Check for Updates button to see how you go.
> Personally I would use Kies, kies it's rubbish.
> Glen
>
> ***
>
> On 17-Oct-14 2:33 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
>>
>> Actually, Apple's servers seem to cope ok when they release a new
>> version of iOS worldwide simultaniously, so I'm sure Google could if
>> they wanted - I know some of my Apple friends say they wait a day or
>> so just because it can be a bit laggy on that first day with millions
>> of users downloading at once which is fair enough, I probably would
>> too.
>>
>> One thing I've always thought Google could do differently is with
>> their updates - sure there are multiple hardware manufacturers with
>> hundreds of different devices, but that is one thing that for all its
>> faults, Microsoft actaully have done relatively well.  They produce
>> Windows, and I can go and buy it and install it on my own computer -
>> which I put together myself if I want - with whatever processor,
>> memory, hard drive, screen, input devices etc etc, and mostly, it just
>> works.  Even Linux (on which Android is very broadly based) can do
>> that, so why couldn't Google have come up with a more efficient method
>> of distribution than the current system?  I could then update Android
>> from Google, and update the drivers and (optionally) additional
>> software from Samsung, or Motorola or whoever makes my hardware.
>>
>> Sure as with Windows, the latest version may not run on my really old
>> hardware, but given that some of the big emphasis of Android 4.4 and
>> Android 5.0 have been around better performance on low end systems,
>> better battery life and so on, Android 5.0 should actually run on a
>> lot older hardware than Android 4.0..
>>
>> Just my little ramble! :)
>>
>> On 17 October 2014 14:19, Dialup @ 56k <dialup56k@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> While the code is to be released on 17th, Android 5 will be released at
>>> varying intervals over the next period, depending on location and telco.
>>> It will not be released to the world on November 3; Google servers
>>> wouldn't
>>> cope.