[vi-android] Re: Android V5

  • From: Quentin Christensen <quentin.christensen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-android@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 14:33:41 +1100

Actually, Apple's servers seem to cope ok when they release a new
version of iOS worldwide simultaniously, so I'm sure Google could if
they wanted - I know some of my Apple friends say they wait a day or
so just because it can be a bit laggy on that first day with millions
of users downloading at once which is fair enough, I probably would
too.

One thing I've always thought Google could do differently is with
their updates - sure there are multiple hardware manufacturers with
hundreds of different devices, but that is one thing that for all its
faults, Microsoft actaully have done relatively well.  They produce
Windows, and I can go and buy it and install it on my own computer -
which I put together myself if I want - with whatever processor,
memory, hard drive, screen, input devices etc etc, and mostly, it just
works.  Even Linux (on which Android is very broadly based) can do
that, so why couldn't Google have come up with a more efficient method
of distribution than the current system?  I could then update Android
from Google, and update the drivers and (optionally) additional
software from Samsung, or Motorola or whoever makes my hardware.

Sure as with Windows, the latest version may not run on my really old
hardware, but given that some of the big emphasis of Android 4.4 and
Android 5.0 have been around better performance on low end systems,
better battery life and so on, Android 5.0 should actually run on a
lot older hardware than Android 4.0..

Just my little ramble! :)