[va-richmond-general] Re: Hummers?

  • From: "Al Warfield" <warfield101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 12:30:04 -0400

Irene,

We had our first on the 22nd this year, which is a little later than usual,
but we had both male and female, which is also unusual for us. The males
usually are here at least a week before the females. According to my
records, they start around the 17th, but other people always report some
earlier. We just have one feeder up now, hanging from a gutter on the deck
overhang. Later we'll put out at least one more.

They like flowers to be nearby. I think they are attracted mostly by the
flowers, athough they always check out a red plastic thing that hangs on a
wind chime. They are attracted to the potted verbena, azalea, and petunia
that we have on the deck, and to Carolina Jasmine blooms, which is a vine
that is climbing on the deck.
They like trees to be nearby so they can "guard their feeder(s)." They perch
on a snag, usually the same one all the time, and watch for other hummers.
When they see one they dart out and chase it away. Some people can put
multiple feeders up, but when we do that, the dominant male guards all he
can see.

I can sit on the deck and the hummers will come right to the feeder as long
as I don't move abruptly. Especially the females, but the males too after
they get used to seeing someone there.

In Ramsey Canyon, Southeastern AZ,  I saw a guy with a red hat on and a
small feeder hanging from the brim in front of his face. The hummers would
come up and feed right in his face. Maybe you should try that! Let us know
how it works.

Al Warfield