[va-richmond-general] Re: Hummers?

  • From: <k-kreutzer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 20:31:18 -0400

Mine (not that I am proprietary, ha ha) seem to like feeders in open places,
I have one hanging off the front porch rafters, one on deck-mounted hook
hanger, and one of the small ones attached to my kitchen window with a
suction cup hanger.   I was worried about the latter one when I put it up
last year but have had no birds fly into the window, I think that there is
enough reflection all day.  It is great to see them a foot away while
cleaning up!

When things start flowering in the yard, they also make trips to those
flowers, they like the butterfly bushes and petunias, I've found.

They are very territorial, which you've prob heard, but it is something the
first few times you see those little birds dive bombing one another - they
will even sit on the feeder hanger to guard "their" feeder.   But today I
had three sharing my larger feeder, which was neat.

Which reminds me, tomorrow I have to take the red tag off the garage
emergency latch - we moved in last year and I forgot, and I kept finding
them in the garage trying to get out after coming in for the red "flower".
In my old house I removed the tag and it took care of the problem.

Enjoy!

Kathy Kreutzer
Chesterfield