[v-webmail] Passing user details to v-webmail

  • From: R.A.Stanier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: v-webmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 17:13:53 +0100

Hi All,

We're currently looking for a suitable webmail client for our students at
the university of Brighton, England.

Having spent some time looking at the various alternatives, v-webmail looks
like the one to go for. However, we'd very much like to embed access to
v-webmail from within our virtual learning environment. Given all users have
to login to the VLE with the same username and password as they would use
for email, we'd like to simply be able to pass these details directly to
v-webmail without students having to login a second time. We have the
user''s details but I can't see an obvious way of passing them to v-webmail.
I've tried using login.php?username=xxx&password=xxx and attempted to pass
all the variables from the login page but this always returns me to the
login page. Has anyone got any pointers as to how we might achieve this?

Also, has anyone experience of how v-webmail scales for thousands of users -
we currently have nearly 20,000 students so we need to be sure it will cope
with the scale of use we expect.

Many thanks,

Stan

Dr R Stanier