[uae] Re: Snapshot 20070227

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 11:07:51 -0500

Hi Jason

On Saturday 24 February 2007 05:29, Jason Rainforest wrote:
> Thanks for the new snapshot. Builds cleanly here on Ubuntu Edgy AMD64.
> As I mentioned in a previous post to this list, there's an issue with
> the SDL OpenGL mode while the compiz window manager is running. Other
> OpenGL applications (like the XMMS 3D rotating spectrogram thing) have
> the same issue.

I don't use a compositing window manager here at the moment. I should give it
a try.

> The issue is basically an inconsistent framerate, and
> never reaching full speed (50fps? sits around 15-20 with bursts of 30,
> estimating) CPU usage doesn't appear to be the cause. I suspect it's
> something to do with compiz (and perhaps beryl also, or any other
> compositing window manager) and the way other OpenGL programs function
> while it is running. This system has an nVidia 7900GT in it, so the gfx
> card is definitely powerful enough.

In theory, it shouldn't require a powerful GPU. On Mac OS X here, for
instance, a GeForce2 MX is quite sufficient. E-UAE runs at full frame-rate,
and you can even drag windows around without making it hiccup.

I don't why there's a problem with Compiz. Maybe it's a question of finding
the right combination of OpenGL extensions to accelerate texture upload.
It'll need some investigation.

> In non-OpenGL mode, this version of E-UAE is very fast. It's a shame the
> JIT isn't available on AMD64 as it would absolutely fly :D. Speaking of
> the JIT - do you have any plans on making it 64bit clean (assuming that
> is the reason why it's not available on 64bit arch)?

The JIT isn't 64-bit clean in a couple of places, but that's trivial to fix.
The bigger issue is teaching the code generator to generate AMD64 code. I
plan to address this soon. The chap who ported the UAE JIT to Basilisk II
(68k Mac emulator) has got it running on AMD64. I am going to re-use some of
his work.