[tvservice] Re: RCA ctc177bh2 no sound..

  • From: Sam Barnum <sbarnum@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tvservice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 20:53:47 -0500

Thanks for your replies.  I double checked to see if there is any sound
from the speakers at any volume. But no there is none, they are dead
silent at all times. I also double checked the speakers and wiring from
the PCB to them. Good results for both.  I also pulled out the scope,
and using my VCR as the source, I had a nice clean audio waveform on
pins 1 and 5 of TDA7263(Audio AMP non-inverting inputs). The amplitude
of that wave followed volume control up and down nicely. However MUTE
had no effect and didn't even show up on the TV screen as is typical, or
as the volume control had.  I also noted a 1.5v constant voltage on
SUR/MUTING pin (#3).

So now I'm thinking either bad TDA7263, or mute is on permanently..

Any more thoughts?

Thanks, Sam

There is a mute signal from the main micro I think, that mutes the sound
when changing channels. I have found that bad. It is NOT the same mute
circuit as the one that is used when you push the mute button. There is a
resistor you can remove to disable it. I was told to do that by one of RCAs
$2/min. techs and then a year or two later they denied that they ever
recommended doing it. Some guys say that will destroy the speaker eventually
but I have not seen it happen.

Russ Hoyt
Hoyt's TV
Exeter, NH