[triadtechtalk] Re: Sloooooooooow Computer

  • From: "Richard Matthew" <modelworker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 11:28:29 -0700

Hello, Armando

> Do you connect to WWW via DUN or DSL? Is the PC
> networked?

I have cable which I connect to with an ethernet card. The problem started
shortly after going to cable, and I removed the card, but that had no
effect, and I re-installed it.

> Did you install a program that may have caused this
> slow down to commence?

Conceivably. Around that time, I "upgraded" to ZA Pro. A known problem with
it slowing down the computer was a conflict with its mailsafe feature and
Norton's. I tried disabling one at a time, but to no avail. I also installed
Pest Patrol around the same time.

> Can you try restoring to a previous date when your PC
> was not infirm?

Can't go back that far.

> If networked, take a look here and see if this applies
> to your situation: (Look for the heading -"Application
> Slow-Downs in Windows XP" and don't be misled by the
> word linux in this URL):
>
> http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/47.htm#linuxtips

I looked at the site, followed the suggestions, but no help. I did have the
811493 Microsoft patch installed earlier, and was aware of the problem it
was supposed to cause. I uninstalled that as well... No good.

 > HTH,
> armando
> (I HATE XP)

I have had great luck with XP since November of 2001. No problems, no
freezes, worked great.

Would the process be to disable certain programs, one at a time, and see if
that helps? Not sure how to do that.
AAR, thanx for the suggestions. Any more??

Regards,
Richard