[triadtechtalk] Re: Sloooooooooow Computer

  • From: avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 13:46:25 -0700 (PDT)

Norton?
Norton Works? AV?
Try uninstalling Norton's.

If it's AV here's a link describing the process. Be
sure to familiarize yourself with the process. I've
followed many a thread where uninstalling Norton's AV
has been problematic, that is why I have this tip in my
archive:

How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus by using the
Rnav2003.exe removal utility

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/df0a595864594c86852567ac0063608c/33497f6e8a319ece88256ace0076cc02?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

or

http://redirx.com/?t6u

See if that alleviates the slow down.
If it does, then try a different AV program. XP is
equipped to save restore points, what is Norton going
to afford you that is not built into the system
already?. Norton system works can be a great program,
for some, and a total nightmare for others.
Why?,<SHRUG>, I don't know.<SINISTER SMILE>

ERUNT - it can save a XP registry and allow you to
install & uninstall programs and easily restore the
saved registry if anything goes awry.

Google yourself a copy of ERUNT and use it. It may not
help at this stage but it will be a good one to have
whence everything gets fixed.

I've been using Grisoft's AVG forever. My friend just
loaded Avast - this one is a *must disable* before you
install any new application(that's what he says), but
he's satisfied with it otherwise.

Any way..., give me some feedback and I'll see what
else I can come up with on the slow down, should this
not fix it.

Try searching for "XP slow down" in Google groups. I
got a gazillion hits on that(with quotes & without).

Also, here's a link to Google's Microsoft search engine:
http://www.google.com/microsoft.html

Have you searched in XP Home's own "Help" database in
your PC for 'slow down'?

HTH,
armando.
----------

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 11:28:29 -0700, "Richard Matthew"
wrote:

> Hello, Armando
>

> > Do you connect to WWW via DUN or DSL? Is the PC
> > networked?
>
> I have cable which I connect to with an ethernet card.
> The problem started
> shortly after going to cable, and I removed the card,
> but that had no
> effect, and I re-installed it.
>
> > Did you install a program that may have caused this
> > slow down to commence?
>
> Conceivably. Around that time, I "upgraded" to ZA Pro.
> A known problem with
> it slowing down the computer was a conflict with its
> mailsafe feature and
> Norton's. I tried disabling one at a time, but to no
> avail. I also installed
> Pest Patrol around the same time.
>
> > Can you try restoring to a previous date when your
PC
> > was not infirm?
>
> Can't go back that far.
> >
> > If networked, take a look here and see if this
applies
> > to your situation: (Look for the heading
-"Application
> > Slow-Downs in Windows XP" and don't be misled by the
> > word linux in this URL):
> >
> > http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/47.htm#linuxtips
>
> I looked at the site, followed the suggestions, but no
> help. I did have the
> 811493 Microsoft patch installed earlier, and was
aware
> of the problem it
> was supposed to cause. I uninstalled that as well...
No
> good.
>
>  > HTH,
> > armando
> > (I HATE XP)
>
> I have had great luck with XP since November of 2001.
> No problems, no
> freezes, worked great.
>
> Would the process be to disable certain programs, one
> at a time, and see if
> that helps? Not sure how to do that.
> AAR, thanx for the suggestions. Any more??
>
> Regards,
> Richard
Snip