[triadtechtalk] MHO for Rebecca

  • From: avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 16 Sep 2001 03:04:10 -0700

Rebecca, here is my suggestions list on as to how you should proceed at this
moment:(I have assumed you're running a WIN 9X PC)

I recommend System Mechanic first because that way you'll be able to safely
uninstall Gator, temporarily if you wish, or permanently (which I did, for I
too was once enticed by their offer to be so unobtrusively helpful[bah, humbug])

I know that on this very list System Mechanic did not receive much praise, on
the contrary, so at the time mum was the word for me but for a newbie or
inexperienced PC user, it is a wonderful tool. You can test & use it for a free
30 day trial period, and it foresees & prevents a newbie from fowling
his/her(Notice my political correctness)registry.

You can first run  "system" to "clean system registry". When it's through it
will offer you a screenfull of invalid registry references. Delete the lot,
summarily! Do it!

Then you can run in "system" the "windows startup manager":

From here you can safely stop "Gator". Just highlight the line where it is
shown to exist and click on the "disable". Look at the list offered and
scrutinize it for multiple instances of the same program running.

If you're in doubt as to whether you "should or should not disable", remember
that you can always return & enable the program again. But never, ever disable
Explorer nor Systray!!
(Read that again- never, ever disable Explorer or Systray!!!)
For info: Iolo System Mechanic Info: http://www.iolo.com/sm/

Free 30 day trial: http://www.iolo.com/download/default1.htm when it offers to
look for update via web choose "NO" or preferrably "NEVER".

Then go here:
http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system.htm
to AnalogX and download & install:

"MaxMem"-it is a memory optimizer, make sure it runs on startup, i.e., it must
appear in your systray when you crank up your PC(systray is where your clock
is). Under configuration for the program(which you access by right clicking on
its icon) for "memory boudaries" go with the suggsted valus(which you can
adjust at any time) but in "Left-click Operation: on the drop down list choose
"Perform Periodic cleanup".

Then go here:
Download from AnalogX cookieWall
http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/cookie.htm
Install it that it will start when you crank up your pc. Configure it to
"Prompt" and when you're offered a cookie choose "accept temporarily", later by
right clicking on the cookie icon in your systray you'll be offered a 3 column
list which you can edit individually.

Just highlight one or as many of the cookies on the "delete always" or the
"cookies to keep" & choose what you prefer. Note: there are cookies that are
placed in our PC's that I.D. us to certain sites, which if you should not
accept will not let you enter. Thus the "accept temp" choice. Others you keep,
for they facilitate your entering to check on email sites, etc.As time goes by
you'll get the "feel" for this.

To solve your security issues & obtain FREE(no catch) softwarego to :
http://www.geocities.com/jansson_markus/software.html

If I'm not mistaken some good peson offered us this site for reference on this
very list(I believe it was Nasset Sr., TIA David)

There you will find references to ZoneAlarm, Lavasoft, etc. Read all this and
follow this fellow's advise, & you'll be a happier sufer, without all your
icons in your systray disappearing on you.

I advised you before to use AdAware & OptOut.
http://www.lavasoftusa.com
Did you? You'll then know of all the spyware in your system, this being the
cause for your icons to disappear when you surf, for they are hogging your
memory resources for themselves, on "YOUR" PC. Don't let them!!! You paid for
it & they use it. Sounds like communism to me<g>.

Someone else perhaps will surely offer better suggestions than mine, or I may
have overlooked something important to highlight. But as Clarence said, I too
would start by "shooting that gator".(LOL)

Good luck Rebecca. Love, Armando. 8) God bless America!

Castro is responsible for the Cuban people's misery and not the U.S. embargo.

I wish you good health and much happiness, today and
always.