[triadtechtalk] Re: Clarence:alt-del file listing

  • From: "cabehogan" <cabehogan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 16:41:24 -0500

Daylight Time,
> cabehogan@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> > close everything BUT... MIE, OE, Explorer & systray

> Clarence.... when you start your pc and are not on
line...

But of course I am on line 7/24 with Charter.net's
cable modem!

> if were my pc....
> only thing you neeed and should have is explorer and
systray....

Which is exactly what I have when I Ctrl-Alt-Delete
after start up and close
everything but those two items AND THEN I load OE and
get my messages
and then as soon as I need to check something out on
the web, I then load
MIE and then that is all that is loaded and running, so
sorry if I did not make
myself clear no that point!  However, after running
most of the day since 4am
I am still getting the same error message or MIE & OE
lock up completely and
I have to CAD and reload them and Nortons, Dr. Watson
or sfc show nothing
amiss, nor does scandisk and I run defrag religiously!

> and do your
> thing with system,files stuff.... or any other things
that do not require you
> to be on line.... then when you go on line al sorts
of goodies get loaded....

Well, since I am on 7/24, where do these goodies show?

> but not every program that runs is shown in the
system tray shows an icon....
> specifically systray and windows exporer....

Correct as I have always observed!

> am wondering why you have
> Internet exporer load immeadialtey?...

I don't as explained above!

> if you arent on line then it isnt
> needed.. once again.. anything that is in the systray
or shows up when you do
> ctrl-alt-del means it is loaded at startup..

Well, that is what I thought!

> and if you use msconfig it is a
> troubleshooting file is all.. so to stop any of the
files running in the
> background you need to go back to each file and make
changes to its startup
> settings or they will always be there....

That is good to know and when I figure out how to do
that when I get
things working right again, I will take that approach
so I don't have to
go through the trouble of using CAD on each and every
thing that loads
on start up, for example Ptsnoop which always returns
on it's own after
I uncheck it in msconfig, just to name one!

> and yes MSTask always asserts itself
> as coming on every time you reinstall.. one of those
grin and bear it
> things..

So I have learned!  : ' (   ; )

> simply open the porgram go to options and clcik stop
using MStask
> scheduler and its over until some program re-opens it
when you install a new
> program and many many of those dumb so called extra
specail super great
> manager types do that....

Yes, I have done that procedure plenty of times, but it
just keeps coming
back upon reboot or start up!

> if they were really great ol billy boy would have
> bought the company out and stuffed the program into
windows.... and if you do
> a complete check on windows any vewrsion you will
find a load of programs
> that arent form MS.. but are form other copmpanies
and mS is licensed to use
> them...

That sounds about right to me even though I don't know
all that much about
it!

> so...... after messing with this trash startinf out
on an 8080 cpu
> home built using pure basic back in 1979 to date I
have found all of those
> "addons always seem to have a naet little way of
queering whatever basic
> opperating sytem you are running.. but what it all
comesa down to... to get a
> pc running near perfect.. first and foremost is to
make absolutelty sure
> whatever the basic operatring system is,,, it must be
perefect.. ot forrget
> any additions as it just compunds all the problems
forever.....

I believe I understand what you are saying and since my
dear ole daddy
always said that there was nothing perfect in this
world, that kind of lets
the possibility of gettng a perfect OS an impossible
task!

> many a time
> have about decidied to just throwq away the machine
and build a new one.. but
> then said .. ok... lets dump it all and do it one by
one.. and lol and behold
> it works.... and if you read any warranty from any
software company they
> right off tell you... sorry no thanks and bye if you
have problems running
> this program as we are not liable for any of the
probelms you may encounter
> with other programs after installing our program as
it isnt our fault... its
> always the other programs fault.........and one other
thing and am sure you
> have heard it many a time.... if it sounds to good to
be true.. then it
> aint....

AMEN, you sure got that right!

>       and again,... my opinion is all... Chuck... in
Ok

And as usual, a fine opinion!

.......clarence in TN........

www.freelists.org/webpage/triadtechtalk