[triadtechtalk] Re: Backing up question/Program Installs

  • From: RPRKOCVGGPED@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 11:28:22 -0700

From: Brendan O'Carroll

> --from "Brendan O'Carroll" <bocarroll@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>--
> --reply triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> ***  Triad Tech Talk
> (www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=triadtechtalk) ***
>

> Hi Folks,
>
> What is the "best, safest, most reliable" method of installing new
> programs onto a Windows system?
> Is there such a method, or is it like most things on Windows, there are
> 101 ways to do the same thing?
>
> This is the way I do it;
> All I do is scan the download with Nortons and then shutdown and restart
> my computer.
> I turn off all programs except Explorer, Systray, and Rundll.   -just
> like doing my weekly Scandisk and Defrag.

If you are running Windows 98, here's a more thorough way of doing the same.
Go to Start>Run, and type in "msconfig", without quotation marks. Click OK.
Then, put the dot next to Selective Startup, remove the last checkmark from
the last box, and reboot. When you are done, put it back to Normal Startup
and reboot.

> I then install the program and check that it works. I then shutdown and
> restart and make sure that everything seems to work.
> Then I run MSRegclean and  JVRegcleaner.
> Once this is done I move the download file to my archive folder (C:\Z),
> just in case I need it in the future.
>
> Does this method have flaws in it that I should correct, or is it
> reasonably secure?
> Should I backup the Registry first?
> Should I have a backup of the Registry on hand at all times, just in
> case?
> If so, how long can I keep this copy before it is useless, or dangerous?
>
> Time to stop. This is starting to get too technical.
>
> Any comments from the more knowledgeable members would be welcome.
>
> Happy computing,
> Brendan

Backing up the Registry is not usually necessary in Win98 or above. Win98
automatically backs up the Registry upon every first boot of each day, and
saves the last five backups. If too much damage is done, it auto-restores.
If you want to "roll-back" the Registry manually, you reboot to MS-DOS, then
type "scanreg /restore", and choose to which date you wish to roll back.

As to how far you can go back before it is dangerous, there is no fixed
answer. Any changes to your computer that involve changes to the Registry
can end up being undone when you do the roll-back. So, it all depends upon
how many changes you have made since then.

David Nasset, Sr.