[children's transport group] PICS conference report

  • From: Ian Braithwaite <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: post@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 10:58:33 +0100

Hello everyone

I thought I'd just mention a few things I caught at the Paediatric Intensive
Care Society conference that might be of interest to others. If anyone else was
there, feel free to chip in!

Dr Steve Marriage (Bristol) has developed a portable ambulance that can fold
away into a box! It is only a shell of the rear compartment, but looks
fantastic for scenario practise for services that don't have dedicated
ambulances. It has piped gas and power, both of which can be caused to fail for
added realism. It looks like a very neat tool.

Mark Clement (CATS, London) offered up a poster which described qualitative
research documenting interviews with retrieval staff. I found his conversations
about team dynamics and doctor/nurse interactions fascinating.

Dr Dave Rowney (Edinburgh) presented a paper looking at the need for a national
paediatric air ambulance in the UK. He said that in order to get the safest and
most appropriate service, before looking at provision options we needed to
focus on getting the standards ready for the sort of service we required.

There was a poster by Dr Kathryn Davison (Leeds) which looked at extubating
patients with seizures in the local hospital. She demonstrated that retrieval
of these patients can often be safely avoided. I think I knew this, but it was
nice to see data!

Dr Amber Young looked at the issues of fluid management in burns patients. She
described the morbidity associated with excessive fluid intake which is often
due to initial overestimation of burn surface area (BSA). I've had the
replacement fluid calculation of 3-4mL x kg x burn percentage drilled into me
for ages but her service only start fluid replacement at 15% burns, replace
only 2mL x kg x BSA, and aim for urine outputs of 0.5mL/kg/hr. I need to do
more reading!

Regards,

Ian Braithwaite
Senior Transport Nurse
Yorkshire and Humber Infant and Children's Transport Service (Embrace)
+ 44 (0)114 305 3005