[children's transport group] Re: PICS conference report

  • From: "Stephen Hancock" <Stephen.Hancock@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <post@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 13:56:58 +0100

Hi

I have offered to teach on a course using the sim ambulance so will
feedback to the group.

Cheers

Steve Hancock
Transport Consultant
Yorkshire, UK (Embrace)

>>> <tammyr@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 9/20/2010 1:48 pm >>>
Hi Ian,
It was great to hear all about the conference. You seem like you are
getting about alot more these days and seeing loads of interesting
things. I'm particularly interested in the dynamincs and interaction
bit. The ambulance in a box sounds pretty good too. There are not many
groups that can afford the space, not to mention the money to install
their own sim area so this would be a great alternative.

Great to hear what's going on out in the big wide world.

cheers,
Tamsen Robertson
Manager - Education and Quality
Retrieval Services Australia

On Mon Sep 20 17:58 , Ian Braithwaite sent:

Hello everyone

I thought I'd just mention a few things I caught at the Paediatric
Intensive Care Society conference that might be of interest to others.
If anyone else was there, feel free to chip in!

Dr Steve Marriage (Bristol) has developed a portable ambulance that can
fold away into a box! It is only a shell of the rear compartment, but
looks fantastic for scenario practise for services that don't have
dedicated ambulances. It has piped gas and power, both of which can be
caused to fail for added realism. It looks like a very neat tool.

Mark Clement (CATS, London) offered up a poster which described
qualitative research documenting interviews with retrieval staff. I
found his conversations about team dynamics and doctor/nurse
interactions fascinating.

Dr Dave Rowney (Edinburgh) presented a paper looking at the need for a
national paediatric air ambulance in the UK. He said that in order to
get the safest and most appropriate service, before looking at provision
options we needed to focus on getting the standards ready for the sort
of service we required.

There was a poster by Dr Kathryn Davison (Leeds) which looked at
extubating patients with seizures in the local hospital. She
demonstrated that retrieval of these patients can often be safely
avoided. I think I knew this, but it was nice to see data!

Dr Amber Young looked at the issues of fluid management in burns
patients. She described the morbidity associated with excessive fluid
intake which is often due to initial overestimation of burn surface area
(BSA). I've had the replacement fluid calculation of 3-4mL x kg x burn
percentage drilled into me for ages but her service only start fluid
replacement at 15% burns, replace only 2mL x kg x BSA, and aim for urine
outputs of 0.5mL/kg/hr. I need to do more reading!

Regards,

Ian Braithwaite
Senior Transport Nurse
Yorkshire and Humber Infant and Children's Transport Service (Embrace)
+ 44 (0)114 305 3005

* * * * * This message came via the Children's Transport Group Mailing
List. You are subscribed to the INDIVIDUAL MESSAGES version. Visit
www.childrenstransport.com for more information. To post on the
unsubscribe at any time, either via the website, or by sending an email
to request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with “unsubscribe† as the
Subject.

* * * * *

This message came via the Children's Transport Group Mailing List.

You are subscribed to the INDIVIDUAL MESSAGES version.

Visit www.childrenstransport.com for more information.

You may unsubscribe at any time, either via the website, or by sending an email
to request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with “unsubscribe” as the Subject.