[tor] Re: Updates

  • From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <joehall@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torservers <torservers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 07:50:39 -0500

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Moritz Bartl <moritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 31.01.2011 00:01, Christian Pfaab wrote:
>> I am kinda reluctant to use names of real persons for tor exits.
>> Maybe I am too cautious about that.
>
> Good point. Any other thoughts on this?

Well, I guess I'd ask if we see any precedent where a report of
something like that happened ("Over the node 'Andreas Pfitzmann' who
was a German Cryptologist ran a lot of CP which is being
investigated").  Obviously, even if there hadn't been reports like
that, it could still happen, so I take your point.  At least in the
case of Bill Zeller, I think he would want it to make people think
about both the good and bad tools like Tor can be put to.  But, as
you've said, there are many other possible names we can go with.

So, if the potential for the association of bad behavior out of a node
with a name of a deceased person would be problematic to people, we
shouldn't do it.  At least in Bill's case, I don't see that as much of
a big deal.

best, Joe