[tor] Re: Updates

  • From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <joehall@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torservers <torservers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 11:15:11 -0500

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Moritz Bartl <moritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If you have donated to Torservers previously, you are obliged to suggest
> more names. :-)

Hi, thanks for what you do!

Here's a very selfish suggestion for a node name... about a month ago
one of the six graduate students in our small program at Princeton[1]
took his own life.  Bill Zeller[2] was a very talented computer
programmer and just a very nice and caring guy.  He was troubled by
events that happened in his childhood and simply couldn't live with
this "darkness" hanging over his head, so he took his life[3][4].
Bill was a security expert and did a lot of good work in the areas of
DRM circumvention (myTunes[5]) and cross-site request forging
vulnerabilities, open government and voting systems[6].  One of his
most conspicuous characteristics is that he cared a lot about keeping
people safe and distributing quality information... two things that
epitomize Tor.

It would wonderful to name a node after Bill... perhaps simply
"billzeller" or "RIPBillZeller".

Anyway, I can think of more creative names that aren't as selfish. ::)

best, Joe

[1]: http://citp.princeton.edu/
[2]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Zeller
[3]: http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/2011/01/07/27306/
[4]: http://metatalk.metafilter.com/20205/RIP-Bill-Zeller
[5]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MyTunes
[6]: http://publications.from.bz/

--
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
ACCURATE Postdoctoral Research Associate