[tn-moths] Re: Two or one unknown?

  • From: "buggybuck" <buggybuck@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 11:09:07 -0400

Have you taken a close look at Heliocheilus lupatus?  It is illustrated in
Covell Peterson fieldguide to eastern moths, plate 29 fig 4, where it is
listed as Heliothis phloxiphagus; I don't know if the moth photographers
group has a photo or not, anyway, the coloration on the wing is variable,
although the basic pattern is relatively consistant.  Good luck.  BUCK

Date:  3/13/12 and 3/15/12

Marvin Smith
Rural North-central Arkansas
Searcy County – Ozark Mountains
Elevation:  1600 feet
Mixed hardwood and pine woods/pastures/waste areas.