[TN-Butterflies] Re: caterpiller photos

  • From: baumgrdner@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 06:26:22 -0400

 Fantastic caterpillar photos !  Reminded me to plant parsley !
Susan Baumgardner Knox Co.

Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 06:57:44 -0400
From: baumgrdner@xxxxxxx

Saturday 4/25/09 while fishing at Tremont (GSMNP) I saw several Tiger
Swallowtails along the gravel road.
Susan Baumgardner
Knox Co.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 09:02:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: kjchilds <kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [TN-Butterflies] Black Swallowtails...The Next Generation

Round one on my fennel is way ahead of schedule. I'm glad I increased my
planting this year so there will be plenty to go around for both 'flys and
humans.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p193/kjchilds/IMG_6932.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p193/kjchilds/IMG_6933.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p193
/kjchilds/IMG_6926.jpg

Ken Childs
Henderson, TN
Chester County

http://www.finishflagfarms.com

------------------------------

From: "tom howe" <blountbirder@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [TN-Butterflies] Blount Co FOY
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 13:18:44 -0400

Blount Co
Yesterday, 04/27/09 I saw my FOY Silver-spotted Skipper.

Now that dragonflies are coming out strong, it's been hard to keep my eyes
off forktails at my feet and watch for butterflies-truly a dilemma at times.

Good Flyin'

Tom Howe

Alcoa

------------------------------

From: Allan Trently <ajtcorax@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [TN-Butterflies] Fayette County Butterflies
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 17:53:51 -0400

While working at Ghost River State Natural Area (all in Fayette County) today
(April 28, 2009) I saw the following butterflies:

1. Silver spotted skipper- FOY and Fayette Co. record; photo attached

2. Erynnis species possibly Horace's- Fayette Co. record if it can be
identified; photo attached

3. Zabulon Skipper- FOY and Fayette Co. record; no photo

4. Eastern Tiger Swallowtail- FOY and Fayette Co. record; no photo

5. Red-banded Hairstreak- FOY and Fayette Co. record; no photo

6. Eastern Tailed blue- FOY and Fayette Co. record; photo attached

7. Monarch- FOY and Fayette Co. record; photo attached

8. Pearl Crescent- FOY and Fayette Co. record; photo attached

9. Question Mark- FOY and Fayette Co. record; no photo

10. Red Admiral- FOY

11. Carolina Satyr- FOY and Fayette Co. record; no photo

Allan Trently ajtcorax@xxxxxxxxxx

Jackson, Madison County, TN

http://windowslive.com/online/skydrive?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_skydrive_042009

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 20:33:56 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)
From: "DJ Stanley" <stanleydj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [TN-Butterflies] Putnam Co. - Bee Rock - 4/28/09

Juv. Duskywing - 1=0D
Duskywing Sp. - 9=0D
Gemmed Satyr - 2=0D
Zebra Swallowtail - 3=0D
Falcate Orangetip - 1=0D
Brown Elfin - 2=0D
Silver-spotted Skipper - 1=0D
E. Tiger Swallowtail - 1=0D
E. Tailed Blue - 1=0D
Goatweed - 1

------------------------------

From: "Michael Lee Bierly" <mlbierly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [TN-Butterflies] Re: Correction - Recent sightings at Kentucky Manor,
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 21:01:47 -0500

In the email of April 27, the digital of a melanistic swallowtail was
identified as a female Eastern Tiger Swallowtail. This is incorrect. Steve
Stedman pointed out the white dots on the abdomen that are not present in
the Tiger. He states, "All dark form (i.e., female) Eastern Tiger
Swallowtails have all-dark bodies (this is not a field mark noted in many of
the guides, but you will find this feature borne out by all dark tigers you
ever see; may not be true of the intermediate form females, which this
individual is not an example of in any case)." There was some questions
whether20the digital showed one or two yellow rows. However, the individual
pictured appeared to be ovipositing on a parsley. Steve states, "Parsley is
one of several host plants of Black Swallowtail, so that about clinches the
i.d. as Black Swallowtail." Jeff Basham agrees with Steve's analysis. An
individual of this type was back today, April 28, but did not land in the
yard.

Also, I mentioned two species that my fritillary might be. Steve pointed out
that both are wrong for various reasons. The likely choice would be
Variegated. I have fired my  possibility consultant. The position is now
open. Doesn't pay. Send resumes.

Michael Lee Bierly, Nashville, Davidson County, TN

End of tn-butterflies Digest V2 #81