[TN-Butterflies] Re: Correction - Recent sightings at Kentucky Manor, Nashville, Davidson County, Tennessee (April 27 email)

  • From: "Michael Lee Bierly" <mlbierly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tennessee Butterflies" <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 21:01:47 -0500

In the email of April 27, the digital of a melanistic swallowtail was
identified as a female Eastern Tiger Swallowtail. This is incorrect. Steve
Stedman pointed out the white dots on the abdomen that are not present in
the Tiger. He states, "All dark form (i.e., female) Eastern Tiger
Swallowtails have all-dark bodies (this is not a field mark noted in many of
the guides, but you will find this feature borne out by all dark tigers you
ever see; may not be true of the intermediate form females, which this
individual is not an example of in any case)." There was some questions
whether the digital showed one or two yellow rows. However, the individual
pictured appeared to be ovipositing on a parsley. Steve states, "Parsley is
one of several host plants of Black Swallowtail, so that about clinches the
i.d. as Black Swallowtail." Jeff Basham agrees with Steve's analysis. An
individual of this type was back today, April 28, but did not land in the
yard.

Also, I mentioned two species that my fritillary might be. Steve pointed out
that both are wrong for various reasons. The likely choice would be
Variegated. I have fired my  possibility consultant. The position is now
open. Doesn't pay. Send resumes.

Michael Lee Bierly, Nashville, Davidson County, TN