[TN-Bird] West TN Birding

  • From: "Mark Greene" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "greenesnake@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: TN-Birds Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 14:35:20 +0000 (UTC)

January 21, 2015Obion & Gibson Counties
I made a quick trip by Hop-In Refuge in Obion County and immediately saw that
there were Sandhill Cranes sitting everywhere near the south entrance to the
refuge off Hwy 89. The refuge is closed right now but the birds can easily be
seen from the parking area near the refuge sign and gate. There were over 1000
birds present. I counted 1,054 birds but I feel certain that I missed a few
because I was blocked out by the treeline to the west. There were also easily
10,000 Snow Geese in the area with another 1200 or so Greater White-fronted
Geese in the flock. I also picked out about a dozen Ross's Geese as the birds
would get up and move around. An adult Bald Eagle came over and chaos ensued!
All the geese got up and were calling. The cranes never got up but they were
well aware of the eagle's presence and were honking and calling like crazy. As
Jeff Wilson used to say "Katy bar the door"! It was deafening there for a few
minutes until the eagle moved on and the masses calmed down. There were also a
couple of courting Red-shouldered Hawks and a couple of Red-tailed Hawks in the
area.
Just outside of Trenton on the north side of town, there is a small pond beside
Hwy. 45W that I call Canvasback Pond. I checked it yesterday and there were 3
Canvasbacks and a single Ring-billed Gull present.
On Hwy 54, southwest of Trenton, on the highway towards Alamo, there has been a
gorgeous adult rufous-morph Red-tailed Hawk present. I've seen the bird 3 times
in the last week or so.
Good birding!
Mark GreeneTrenton, TNGibson County