[TN-Bird] West TN Birding

  • From: "Tommie Rogers" <Bananaquit1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TNBird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <TN-Bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 13:10:43 -0400

On Monday I birded with Jeff Wilson on President's Island where we saw
White-winged Doves among hundreds of Eurasian-collared Doves and some Mourning
Doves.  Later we visited TVA lake where we observed the Black-bellied Whistling
Ducks, Black-necked Stilts and one Snow Goose.  Our next stop was the sewage
treatment ponds where Pectoral and Least Sandpipers dominated the scene.
Scanning different ponds, we were able to find Baird's Sandpiper, Western and
Semipalmated Sandpipers.
To finish the day off, we went to Mud Lake where Jeff showed his amazing
birding skills by spotting an Anhinga from the top of the levee looking through
a small peep hole in the trees lining the shore.  The Anhinga was so far away,
it was a black spec until we looked at it with my scope.  Other birds present
were Great Egret, Snowy Egret, Little Blue Heron, Green Heron, Bank Swallows,
Least Terns and Yellow-billed Cuckoos.  Two Wood Storks flew toward us from the
Mississippi state line, topping off a great day of birding.

The following day I birded Ibis Hole with Nancy Moore.  There were Wilson's
Snipe, 2 American Avocets, Semipalmated Plovers, Pectoral Sandpipers, Least
Sandpipers, Lesser Yellowlegs, Osprey and Semipalmated Sandpipers.   The water
is almost gone at Ibis Hole.   Mississippi Kites were numerous near Jolly's
Landing (which was bone dry) and Least Terns were flying near the riverside.

Eastern Wood Pewee, Yellowthroated Warbler and Bald Eagles were at Reefoot Lake.

Tommie Rogers