[tn-bird] West TN Birding

  • From: Bird2Walk@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 14:41:44 EDT

Judy Newsome and I decided late Sunday afternoon to make a quick trip to
Memphis to pick up a few year birds and maybe a new state bird for Tennessee.
 On our way out we stopped by to see the Lark Sparrows in Cannon County and
the Bewick's Wren and Scissor-tailed Flycatcher in Rutherford County.  We
were successful with all three birds.  I want to thank everyone who has given
directions to these birds.

After that we headed straight for Memphis.  We were at the pits by 7:15 am.
We found the Painted Bunting first at the usual spot.  He was singing, and
pretty easy to find.  Next we went to the TVA Lake.  There we had Least Terns
and a Snowy Egret.  We then searched for the Western Kingbirds without luck,
so we went to see if we could find some shore birds.  The Black-necked Stilts
were everywhere.  There are babies of all sizes.  We also had several
Pectoral and Least Sandpipers.  We also found two Stilt Sandpipers.  We
finally found the Kingbirds birds on Riverport Rd.  We had a total of five.

Next, we went to Eagle Lake to find an Anhinga, our main "Target" bird.
There wasn't a lot of water around, but the water that is there is easily
viewed from the observation tower.  We found the Anhinga(we saw the stick in
his mouth), Little Blue Herons, Snowy Egrets, Great Egrets, Green Herons,
Black-necked Stilts, and many Mississippi Kites.

After leaving Eagle Lake we met up with Jeff Wilson for a nice visit and to
try to find a Fish Crow, but no luck.

On the way home we stopped in McNairy for the Bachman's Sparrow.  We heard
one singing very close to us, but never were able to see it.

Birding the west side of the state is always fun.  Thank you Jeff, for
helping us and putting up with all the phone calls for directions and
information.

Bonnie Johnson
Dunlap, TN