[tn-bird] West TN Birding

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 00:39:30 EDT

Sept. 7, 2002
Ensley, Eagle Lake,
Dacus Bar. Shelby Co.
Everett's Lake, Dyer Co.
Tiptonville Bar, Island 13 Lake Co.

We started the morning with a dose of pure Ensley, with great looks at 16
species of shorebirds and a morning full of good birds. The 22 Buff-breasted
Sandpipers didn't come near the 65 seen on Sept 6, 1996 but I still drooled
over every one. We didn't concentrate on the Baird's that much but still came
up with 11 with 5 feeding in one group. A single immature Wilson's Phalarope
and 2 immature Short-billed Dowitchers fill out the best of the best list.

We loaded up and headed up to check the river expecting very little because
of the fast drop and that is exactly what we found all day at Dacus Bar and
Tiptonville Bar. A short run through at Eagle Lake, where no shorebird
habitat abounds, produced less than 10 total shorebirds of 2 species. There
was a small collection of Snowy, Great Egret, Little Blue, Green and Great
Blue Herons. Even before we got to the entrance though, a small flycatcher
caught my eye and we had 20 foot looks at an immature Yellow-bellied
Flycatcher. With one of us on one side and one on the other, we called out
field marks and then the bird turned and let each of us check out what the
other saw. A single second year Mississippi Kite did lazy circles over head,
it would be the only one seen all day.

At Everett's Lake we found about 500 shorebirds but added nothing new. Duck
species present were, Mallard, Blue and Green-winged Teal with Shoveler. The
White Pelicans were evidently out to lunch.

We finished the day and the magic time at dusk on Island 13, where we first
found fewer than 20 birds. The pool is very small but hopefully will last
another week or so. We eked out 1 Semipalmated Sandpiper, 1 Baird's, 15 Least
Sandpipers and very few Killdeers. I was explaining or trying to justify our
walking all the way out there to this first time visitor and explaining how
great it has been in years past when it happened; Suddenly in fading light
there mystically appeared an immature Willet, then another flash and there
before us appeared an immature Ruddy Turnstone. I heard a few calls and
looked up to see 5 Stilt Sandpipers falling in.

The Stilts immediately started preening and bathing and two kind of pecked
around half heartedly. I explained that they were travelers and would move on
shortly. We got to looking for the Semi and the Baird's that had disappear
and I heard Stilts calling again. I asked if the Stilts were still there and
the answer was no. I heard more calls and another group of 6 Stilts drop in
and we drank in the magic and beauty of this special place as the rosy sun
plunged into the tree line in Missouri. Island 13 had done its thing again
and we both headed to our homes with visions of Wind Birds dancing in our
heads.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA