[TN-Bird] Seven Islands Wildlife Refuge

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 15:50:03 -0400

It was a wonderfully cool late morning/early afternoon at Seven Island Wildlife
Refuge in east Knox County today.   I walked out Kelly Lane to the Kelly Family
Farm, then took the path down to the right and out to the river.  Then instead
of turning left as I often do, I turned back to the right and walked on the
path along the river and I am very glad that I did.  It has changed a lot since
the last time I walked this segment (a year or two ago I suppose; I don't get
here much) so that instead of just being able to view the river well from one
or two locations, the brush has been cut and there is a clear view of the river
all along that trail.  That is where I saw the redheads that people have been
reporting. I saw one male with three females today.  I also saw two adult Bald
Eagles circling over the water and a Lesser Yellowlegs flew past, very kindly
identifying itself by calling tu-tu.  Farther along that path, just before
reaching Wayne's Pond at least two Great Blue Heron's nests came into view,
each with a heron standing on it.  I walked to the end of Steamboat Island
Trail at the river and watched a Red-shouldered Hawk chase a Red-tailed Hawk.
Then straight back to Kelly Lane to complete the loop.
Other highlights were a singing Common Yellowthroat and a Purple Martin
circling Wayne's Pond, both FOS birds for me.
I have noticed on eBird checklists that twice this week, on Monday and on
Wednesday, large groups of people (19 and 26) have been at the refuge in the
early morning.  I wonder if it has something to do with the Dogwood Arts
Festival.
Carole Gobert, Knoxville