[TN-Bird] Seven Islands Wildlife Refuge

  • From: David Trently <dtrently@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 09:45:02 -0400

east Tenn
Knox County

I was at Seven Islands Wildlife Refuge Saturday evening (4:00-6:42) for what
was supposed to be a wildflower id trip for the Tennessee Valley Nature Club -
but everyone stayed home to watch football or hurricane reports! So I wandered
the place trying (successfully) to add new species to the butterfly and
dragonfly lists for the park. I did some birding too, and found some things
different from what Charlie Muise reported in the morning.
I have gone to Seven Islands a few times in both the morning and the evening
of the same day, and find that the bird species and numbers evident there can
change substantially during the day. Sometimes there are 100+ sparrows or
swallows or doves (depending on the time of year) around in the morning, and
very few in the afternoon, or just the reverse. You can compare my list below
with what Charlie reported.

Canada Geese - 1 group of 16
Cooper's Hawk - 1  rarely seen here, 3rd record, previous 2 in month of April
Red-shouldered Hawk - only my second record here (Oct 18, 2003)
American Kestrel - 2
NO Bobwhite heard - almost never missed, any time of day or year
Mourning Dove - 200+
Ruby-throated Hummingbird - I only saw 2
Chimney Swift - few
Downy Woodpecker - 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker - 2
E Phoebe - 1
American Crow - actually uncommonly seen here, but I heard or saw some most of
the time I was there
Blue Jay
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Carolina Wren
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - 1
N Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher - 1
European Starling - very few this time
C Yellowthroat - maybe up to 10 along the first half mile
Summer Tanager - 1 female
Indigo Bunting - 100+, some still singing
N Cardinal
Blue Grosbeak - 8, most just past the barn near the Purple Martin house (no
swallows seen)
Field Sparrow - 25+
Song Sparrow
Am Goldfinch

I may have seen one Grasshopper Sparrow, but it was in dense brush, and the
bird was molting.

I also listed a possible River Cruiser dragonfly species. I had seen a Royal
River Cruiser here on Aug 16, 2003 and assumed this was the species seen
yesterday, but it would not perch.

David Trently
Knoxville, TN